Coverage for a wedding

Hello everyone.

So my 60D is here and I am learning the ropes, working on a little project to get into the DSLR cinema groove. In the meantime, my kid sister is tying the knot in a few weeks and I have volunteered to film the event. However, one camera (a DSLR at that with some limitations) may not be enough to cover the event. I was planning on renting additional cameras - the choice is between more D60s or camcorders, Canon HF20s to be exact. Whether I go with more 60Ds or the HF20s I am planning on renting at least 3 additional cameras.

I am a one-man crew and managing 3 to 4 60Ds and staying out of the way could be a right pain in the arsenal. But the picture quality would be awesome. OR I can go with the HF20s, place them out of the way and let them do their thing (maybe move them around every now and then for additional coverage).

So, is the HF20 a good backup camera if I use my 60D as the principle cam for the occasion? Or should I go with the 60Ds to ensure the picture match-up?

Thanks in advance for any and all help on this.

I shoot weddings for part of my living and in my opinion DSLR's are a great b-roll camera foe the ceremony. At a bare minimum, a decent prosumer video camera is needed with XLR inputs and you'll need to rent at least 1 pro wireless transmitter/reciever and lav mic for the groom (which will pick up the groom, bride, and officiant in the ceremony if you ride volumes in post). You can be up with the photographer in the front of the church - don't forget to get crowd face (reaction) shots.

Also, voice recorders come in as a handy back-up and you can get lav's for them. Some people use them exclusively.

I use 3 video cameras for the service + a DSLR. The reception needs at least 2 cameras so you can cut away to a stable wide shot now and then.

I hope that helps.

Thanks, Cam. I really appreciate the help.

This is not a paying gig (kid sis, it's kind'a a gift for her) so I can only stretch the funds so far. I was going to rent from here http://www.atsrentals.com/cat--Rent-Video-Cameras--100.html (the bottom of the page to be exact). Do you know of a better place to rent so that I can get prosumer video cameras that will not abuse my budget?

Thanks again.

Honestly, no. The sound is what's going to be the issue, so the Canon XHA1s on your link will work and intercut with your DSLR to a passable level if you have the sharpness turned all the way down - then you have editing issues conforming both to AVI before editing.

To do a wedding right it takes resources, unfortunately. Many get into it thinking there's not much to it. The wedding photographer has it EASY in comparison.

If anything bites you, it will be poor sound.

Back