costume ideas?

harry potter, lord of the rings and underworld all work so well because the costume is so well thought through, suits the characters and all the costumes relate to each other in some way compared to the likes of star wars which mostly the costumes seem to be completely randomised giving the effect off a walking wardrobe... anyway im rambling, i am currently in pre-production of my first movie, Darkness Descending, a fantasy set in the modern world but with anciet demons, wizarding clans, vampires and werewolves. i want to set some kind of standard theme for costume ( eg. victorian, leather, forest dwellers)
does anyone have any ideas?

That's what costumes designers do.

Just my two ducats...

Define the cliches associated with your fantasy characters. Pick one or two of those cliches and update it to modern dress, hair styles (including beards and mustaches), makeup, tattoos, etc. As an example, wizards are associated with long robes, pointy hats and a staff. The characters in "The Matrix" are wizards of a sort, so they were costumed in long duster coats.

gandalf.jpg

matrix.jpg

Spend some time looking at historical costuming. Even ancient costuming has been adapted for practical modern usage; the warrior breast plates of 2,000 years ago are still around a body armor.

There are lots of museums and thousands of books you can use for your research. Get to work!

Back