• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Correct way to describe car movement...

...For example, two characters are in a car that pulls into a parking lot. Do I say "the car pulls into the parking lot", "they pull into" or something else?

This is one of those questions that is probably not a big deal, but it's bugging me. I've read scripts written by pro screenwriters that had some bad technique/formatting in them, but they were such a great storyteller it didn't matter. Any feedback is appreciated.

Is this a spec script, or something you plan to make? If it's for you to make, you can word it however it helps you to shoot what you see in your head. If it's spec, I'd say that "The car pulls into the parking lot" is probably just fine. Hard to say though without a snippet of your scene.

Intelligent people have problems like this. It is obviously something that changes every time you
park. Choice of words to set the right tone and determine what's relevant.

It just needs to be clear. Personally, I prefer 'turns in' or 'enters' the parking lot. 'Pulls' sounds more colloquial. 'Pulls up' to a barricade or 'pulls in(to)' a parking place aren't "wrong", per se. As a reader, I wouldn't think twice about it unless you write "pools" for 'pulls'. Most scripts have significantly worse problems that lead to a pass. Your writing doesn't have to read like a college paper. It can and should be fun.

Back