• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

converting AVCHD to MPEG2

hi, when i make this conversion i seem to be getting this kind of 'shadowing' of motion, like an onion skin effect, its only very slight but still noticable. can anyone shed some light on why i have this and how not to??

thanks in advance...

Don't edit with Mpegs, only avi.

The computer will be slower, but the results will be much better.

Only use Mpegs for DVDs and uploading to Vimeo. Even there, Nero converts HD avi or HD Mpegs to Mpeg4 for your DVD, unless you specify to make it a 16:9 NTSC. In that case, Nero will convert it to Mpeg2.

Yes!

Avi is uncompressed audio and video and Mpeg is very compressed audio and video where the quality is downgraded.

So, avi is better.

i always thought avi was compressed for some reason. if it is uncompressed however im guessing they are still huge files and my laptop may still have a problem and besides, how much quality do i really lose if i convert to mp4 or mpeg2 not much i think. ive already been editing hours of mpeg2 and its way too late to change that but my final render could be a different format so maybe i'll try avi and mp4 see if it gets rid of the shadow thing.

Last edited:
It sounds like your laptop is too outdated to edit. A new laptop now costs $300 to $400. You also need an external firewire hard drive for you video files. Uncompressed avi. Mpegs are all compressed. Avi takes more space. A 1TB external drive costs under $100. My Sony Viao laptop cost $1700 from Newegg.com. I just spent $200 on a 2TB external Firewire HD. My laptop has HD and Blu-2ay hardware built-in. You need the right equipment for the job.

It sounds like your laptop is too outdated to edit. A new laptop now costs $300 to $400. You also need an external firewire hard drive for you video files. Uncompressed avi. Mpegs are all compressed. Avi takes more space. A 1TB external drive costs under $100. My Sony Viao laptop cost $1700 from Newegg.com. I just spent $200 on a 2TB external Firewire HD. My laptop has HD and Blu-2ay hardware built-in. You need the right equipment for the job.

Not to be Mr. Contrarian, but Firewire drives aren't the best solution. USB 3, Thunderbolt, and SATA cables are much better and BIGGER pipelines for you data streams. Firewire isn't much better than USB -- an interface I actually prefer to firewire.

I have a sony viao its not a dinosour or anything but yes i could do better however till then i have to convert thats just the way it is. i have an ex hard drive too. i guess my films will just have to have that compressed 'budget' look lol

In the studio I work in, all news transfers are made by Firewire 800 interfaces because it's common and fast. It's on iMacs and MacBookPro's. Yes, a SATA cable is the fastest, except SATA cables are for the insides of computers, not data transfer because a computer wouldn't be able to keep up with itself.

In the studio I work in, all news transfers are made by Firewire 800 interfaces because it's common and fast. It's on iMacs and MacBookPro's. Yes, a SATA cable is the fastest, except SATA cables are for the insides of computers, not data transfer because a computer wouldn't be able to keep up with itself.

Firewire is NOT fast!
We have USB 3 and Thunderbolt. They are fast. Mac has been trying to run away from Firewire for a few years now.

And esata cables to external enclosures are also a lot faster than Firewire.

There really are better things out there than Firewire. It's not 1999 any more.

Firewire is NOT fast!
We have USB 3 and Thunderbolt. They are fast. Mac has been trying to run away from Firewire for a few years now.

And esata cables to external enclosures are also a lot faster than Firewire.

There really are better things out there than Firewire. It's not 1999 any more.

This. A friend of mine was bragging about how fast his external RAID was, yet he was connecting to it via FireWire. I tried to explain to him the problems with that, but he refused to believe my single external drive connected via eSATA had a faster throughput.

Back