• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Converting 30p to 60p with Twixtor

Hi guys,

I'm in the early stages of preparing to DP a feature film where the mandate is absolute realism. In order to make the footage look as real as possible, I'm considering shooting it at sixty frames a second.

The only problem is, we're using a t3i, which only shoots 1080p at 30 frames a second. For me, resolution is more important, so I'm definitely not going to resort to the 720p, 60 fps option. Instead, I'm considering using Twixtor to convert the entire film's native 30p to 60p.

I've never used Twixtor before, however, and I'm wondering what issues, if any, could arise from this workflow.

(I plan on using a 1/60 shutter speed to preserve a more natural motion blur)

Test it.
I don't expect it to look very good though. I'd shoot it in 720P and do the 60 FPS if that's the look you want. People made feature films on digital at 480P on XL2s and DVX100s all the time before HD became available. It might be a tiny bit noisier blown up on the big screen, but on TV or the web nobody will be able to tell the difference.

Back