Congratulations to CBS for going against a Stereotype.

CBS announces the launch of a Supergirl TV Series. They are hiring the producers of The Flash and Arrow to make it.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/supergirl-cbs-greg-berlanti-ali-adler-1201309008/

As you recall, the studios have been very bias against women and female super heroes for a long time. CBS is paving the way for great diversity with shows like Madam Secretary, Stalker, and now, Supergirl.

Honestly I do have a problem with the fact it's the same producers of Arrow and Flash. Don't they think running 2 on-going shows on one network is enough? Now they'll be also maintaining another show on another network. That's a LOT of work and I'd hate for the stress to show a negative impact on any one of these shows.

Also the Arrow/Flash producers are very into a same universe DC television... should we expect Supergirl on CBS to be in the same universe or even crossover with CW's shows? (Excluding of course the upcoming iZombie, which is another female led comic adaption from DC).

I, personally, don't see why they didn't hire Miles Milar and Alfred Gaul who created Smallville for the CWTV Network and introduced Supergirl to Smallville in Season 7 before they left. But, I am happy to see CBS approve of the new series. They were going to try Wonder Woman. But, that idea went up in smoke.

I, personally, don't see why they didn't hire Miles Milar and Alfred Gaul who created Smallville for the CWTV Network and introduced Supergirl to Smallville in Season 7 before they left. But, I am happy to see CBS approve of the new series. They were going to try Wonder Woman. But, that idea went up in smoke.

After Smallville ended, before they came up with Arrow, the next CW comic show was going to be Raven. Fun note. She's my favorite DC character and I was really hoping it came through... but alas Arrow's pilot must have been more impactful. (Oh well Titans is coming to TNT, Raven being one of the three confirmed characters :3 )

Anyways... I personally didn't like Smallville... and I think the WB executives are trying to make more true to the comic adaptions now. Which is why we won't be seeing Miles and Alfred appearing to take helm.

As to Wonder Woman I remember the female CEO of one of DC's departments (or is it DC itself?) said they were scared to make a Wonder Woman show/movie due to her being a famous feminist idol with her original television show. The possibility of tarnishing her image is a clear fear of DC.

SMALLVILLE SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

As I was saying to a friend at work, I can see great possibilities with a Supergirl TV series. Smallville's recreation of her was so well liked by DC Comics, they adopted a lot of Smallvillve's ideas in a reboot of the character.

A more science fiction version, less comic book like, dark and older version has greater possibilities. She left Krypton as a 16 year old and has the benefits of being schooled in the most advanced planet in 23 galaxies.

The synopsis of Supergirl in hiding until she is 24 years old where she is forced to reveal herself falls in line with Smallville where Clark and Kara were forced to hide from the world because Zod's disciples revealed themselves on Earth first as murderous world conquering aliens from Krypton. Kara Kent got the scare of her life getting caught by the government and turned into a lab rat when she was searching for a crystal, which was her last link to Krypton. Clark risked everything to save her. Lionel Luther lent a helping hand in the rescue because Clark was as immobilized by Kryptonite as Kara. That was the event that scared her to understand why they had to blend in as humans and hide their Kryptonian abilities. This is how the secret identity began.

Clark had to reveal himself as Superman when a planet was on a collision with Earth. Kara went to the future in the episode before, leaving only Clark to save the day. Kara was a good 22 years old when Smallville ended. So, Starting her at 24 years old where it's her turn to reveal herself with the same back story would make a GREAT series.

I love the 2 first meeting of the super cousins when they didn't recognize each other after 18 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUKCp6foTsY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUKCp6foTsY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cye1tF0tP90

http://youtu.be/cye1tF0tP90

Last edited:
I was looking at this announcement on FaceBook and happy to see all of the fans asking CBS to consider Smallville's Supergirl, Laura Vandervoot for the role of Supergirl in their new series from all of the comments they are leaving from the announcement. I think casting Laura would be a great move.

Not me.

The age of the character will be 24 years old. So, Laura will be fine.

She should work for a high tech company, instead of the Daily Planet, as an engineer or scientist since her father and uncle were famous scientists on Krypton. It would make more sense.

The show runners already said the character's age will be 24. So, let's work from that. If you follow the Justice League Unlimited series, Supergirl's costume changed when she reached 21 year's old to be closer to Superman's because she was proud of him. So, as far as costumes are concern, go with the costume in the animated series of Kara over 21.

They may have a Lois Lane and Jonathan and Martha Kent. That's more likely than Superman because after her cousin, they are the closest people to her who know the Kent Family secret of Clark and Kara's true origins.

There may even be a Zor-El and Alura-El who may still be alive in Kandor on Braniac's ship.

Superman is too big to be a supporting character.

Time will tell.

The show runners already said the character's age will be 24. So, let's work from that. If you follow the Justice League Unlimited series, Supergirl's costume changed when she reached 21 year's old to be closer to Superman's because she was proud of him. So, as far as costumes are concern, go with the costume in the animated series of Kara over 21.

They may have a Lois Lane and Jonathan and Martha Kent. That's more likely than Superman because after her cousin, they are the closest people to her who know the Kent Family secret of Clark and Kara's true origins.

There may even be a Zor-El and Alura-El who may still be alive in Kandor on Braniac's ship.

Superman is too big to be a supporting character.

Time will tell.

An estimated 24 year old actress in a cheerleader outfit? Ehhh... I'll still pray that New 52 is still the love of the show runners... but add in a bit more leg coverage.

As for the people close to her... idk... I think the Kents are possible as well... but in no way can I even consider Superman having any appearance. I could see his villains making appearances (as do Batman's in Arrow).

I'm thinking Branic will be Kara's nemesis to fall in line with the connection to Superman Unbound and Smallville.

The Kara 21 years old costume was nearly replicated in Smallville Season 10 episode 3, when Kara made her dramatic return to Smallville. The only thing missing is the big "s" across the chest.

Here's the costume in this clip from Season 10 of Smallville. Lois ID's Supergirl's identity to further embarrass Clark.

Here again, only the "S" is missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWPxbJ6ek2E

People wanted the same thing from Arrow when it was announced though. To bring Smallville's Green Arrow actor back and his costume...

As we've seen both with Arrow and The Flash, that they didn't use source in either actors or costumes from Smallville. Arrow's costume is drastically different from Smallville's. The Flash also is drastically different (and thank god for that, Smallville's looked like a douche.)

Greg Berlanti's Supergirl costume is highly unlikely to be the one used in Smallville, it's just a track record that should be expected to be followed. Although Supergirl's outfit in that show was a bit truer to the character than the other character's...

What I mean is Smallville had contracts with DC Comics not to use the trademarked costumes in Smallville. They negotiated and bought the costune and rights for the Superman costume from Superman Returns for the season finale in Season Ten.

That's why there was no "S" on Supergirl's costume and the costumes for the rest of the Justice League members did not look like the trademarked comic book characters versions.

That was discussed in BTS interviews with the show runners.

Also, the families of Superman's original creators won all the rights to Superboy. That's why you won't see a Superboy film or comic book from now on with ties to DC Comics.

Really? I can't seem to find that ruling. I remember in 2013 they closed the case, but shortly after that DC Comics put Superboy into the New 52 & included him in Young Justice the animated series.

What I mean is Smallville had contracts with DC Comics not to use the trademarked costumes in Smallville. They negotiated and bought the costune and rights for the Superman costume from Superman Returns for the season finale in Season Ten.

That's why there was no "S" on Supergirl's costume and the costumes for the rest of the Justice League members did not look like the trademarked comic book characters versions.

That was discussed in BTS interviews with the show runners.

Well that's just sad. Warner Brothers didn't have faith in them or something? That's putting some real distance between them and the showrunners... However Greg is very influential on DC's television side now. I wouldn't doubt at all that he could use any costume he wanted from the comics and change them to his liking. I think the only lines DC/WB would draw would be characters they want in CW DC shows.

Thinking about it... consider CBS & Warner Brothers are the owners of CW... it just seems weird to have one on CBS. Perhaps they think with Arrow, Flash, and iZombie that there are already enough DC shows on CW?

It's not new news. It is two or three years old.

It came out while Smallville was still in production. So, it may be older.

Superboy was turned over to the families of Seagal and Shooster.

Back