• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Confusion!

Using premiere pro 1.5 i have been trying to burn a 77 minute film onto a dvd and i eventually get a message pop up saying "recording error" "out of memory."

I was wondering if the blank dvd i am using maybe has insufficient space to record a 77 minute film onto it.

Or is the error caused by something else? Please could someone suggest what i am doing wrong?

are you looking at the right file? if 16gb, that sounds like 1 hr and so avi footage, not mpeg2, premiere pro when doing dvd, exports in 2 files, one is .m2v, the other is .wav, so when you bring the file into dvd authoring software, you should use m2v file.

Here's my work flow, a bit long but it ensure highest quality control:

Export finished movie as a new avi without recompressing and with the best codec, usually dv codec or dvcpro50 codec (with dv footage)

Use MainConcept's Mpeg2 encoder and encode the file into mpg2 (adjusting the setting as I see fit)

Bring that mpg2 file into a dvd authring program, in my case I use DVD WOrkshop 2 cause I have had success with it.

Burn it at 4x, I don't care how fast your burner can be, sometimes, the dvd-r might just not wanting to work on highest burning speed (depending on your computer and what is running in the background), so best to be safe, use either burning at 4x or 2x.

Test it on 3 dvd stand alone players to make sure it plays, the distribute. ;)

Back