• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Confusion!

Using premiere pro 1.5 i have been trying to burn a 77 minute film onto a dvd and i eventually get a message pop up saying "recording error" "out of memory."

I was wondering if the blank dvd i am using maybe has insufficient space to record a 77 minute film onto it.

Or is the error caused by something else? Please could someone suggest what i am doing wrong?

Knightly, i have just found out i have 7.61 GB of free space from its total size of 232 GB.

Loud Orange Cat, never tried burning to a directory on my hard drive to create a master image. Shows how niave i am!

Loud Orange Cat, never tried burning to a directory on my hard drive to create a master image.
This is how I do it:

• I have my DVD creation program create a master image on my hard drive. This is usually well over the 4.7GB limit.
  • I then use another program to resize that HD image to 4.7GB, writing this new image to a different directory on my HD.
  • I burn the 4.7GB image to DVD media.

Knightly, i have just found out i have 7.61 GB of free space from its total size of 232 GB.

That's hard drive space, not RAM. Big difference.

Right-click on the My Computer icon and choose Properties. That should tell you how much RAM you have in your computer. If you're working with video you should have at least 1GB.

Generally, if an error says out of memory, it's referring to system memory rather than drive full or media full errors. So System RAM would be more pertinent than the amount of Hard Drive space available. This will be an number like 256Mb, 512Mb, 1Gb, 2Gb generally. Naything higher than 8Gb is generally going to be disk space rather than ram....and if you have 8Gb of ram...I envy!

Ok, i have now deleted some old footage and restored 186 GB of disk space, however when i tried to burn a dvd, i just got the same thing. Sorry, but i am still confused. Help!

Ok, i have now deleted some old footage and restored 186 GB of disk space, however when i tried to burn a dvd, i just got the same thing. Sorry, but i am still confused. Help!

Generally, if an error says out of memory, it's referring to system memory rather than drive full or media full errors. So System RAM would be more pertinent than the amount of Hard Drive space available

Basically if you're running any other programs whilst you're trying to do this (like for instance your browser or mail programs -- or anything else that's taking up processing power) you need to shut them down.

What you can't do is put any additional strain on the processor whilst the DVD is burning. It's not about space on the hard drive, it's about how much pressure the RAM (Random Access Memory) is under. 1Gb of RAM should be fine for doing this task, providing you're not doing other stuff at the same time.

So, no watching old South Park episodes on You Tube/pretending to be a woman called Miranda in Second Life/editing other projects/MSNing Russian swingers in Minsk/or playing Mortal Combat whilst the computer is doing this! LOL

If the problem continues you might need to look at whether you've got programs running in the background that are eating up the processor (pretty easy to check on a mac -- but I'm not sure how you do this on a PC)

Loud Orange Cat, don't you fear quality losses from 2nd generation MPEG-2 encoding? Also, it takes my computer about 2.5 hours to encode a full 2 hours of SD video. I'd hate to have to do that twice.

I'm in agreement with you about creating a disk image from which to burn the DVD, though. As a hard and fast rule, I always create an image file from DVD Studio Pro, then I burn that file with Apple's Disk Utility. That also makes it trivial to create a second copy, if someone asks for it.

Of course, my setup and software is a bit different. The concepts are similar.

Eddie, you can take the DVD out of the equation by creating a DVD image on your hard drive. I'm not sure how to do that, but if you do that, first, you'll know if the problem is with your DVD burner/media. Once you have the image, there are several utility programs that will burn the image to the DVD, as a separate step.

Even if you don't want to use two steps, as a matter of habit, breaking the process down this time will help you diagnose the problem.

PC or Mac?

I was wondering if the blank dvd i am using maybe has insufficient space to record a 77 minute film onto it.
So tell me...

How big are the video and audio files?
How much space is on the blank DVD?

It would help if you could quote the error as it reads or maybe paste a screenie of it.

The thing is though when i click on export to dvd and select NTSC high quality 4mb 2pass, it lists at the bottom of the screen 3.37GB required and 4.38GB available, then starts recording.

Maybe i should try NTSC high quality 7mb 1pass, and click on the maximize bitrate.

Back