Computer Requirements for Edtiting HD?

Hi,
I'm looking to buy a new desktop computer. I was wondering what kind of processing power, RAM, and memory (plus other components), I would need in this computer to edit HD video with ease.

Also, do you recommend a Mac or PC?

What editing program do you like best?

Thanks!

My old editing rig had a 1.8ghz cpu and 2 gigs of ram. No fancy video card, or the like.

That was good enough to edit HD using Adobe CS3, though things would get bogged down if you had footage loaded into both Premiere & AfterFX at the same time.

Running either programme, by itself, was no issue at all. I'd consider that to be a minimum, though.

Obviously, the more cpu & ram the merrier. Faster rendering times, for starters.

My newest desktop (haven't loaded the Adobe yet) is a monster, compared to the old one. It also only cost $450, right off the shelf. Good luck tryin' to bag a comparable Apple for a similar price.

As far as editing software - I've always used the Adobe suites... though I gotta say, while it's a great bundled package, Adobe always seems to be bringin' up the rear when it comes to keeping competitive. They'd rather release an entire new suite (requiring paid upgrades) than patch existing software to keep current.

Heck, there's even some no-brainer stuff (like lack of OMF audio support) that looks like it will never get implemented. That's really important for someone like me, who is cursed with crappy sound and relies on outsourcing to audio experts to fix.

Actually, I'll be taking a step back from Adobe before automatically upgrading again. I haven't really looked at Vegas, but if they have OMF exports that would seal a deal for me, tbh.

At any rate - I'm rambling now. First things first, mind you. Before plunking down a lot of bucks on expensive editing suites (or even their bare-bones basic versions) play around with the basic editing software that comes with the OS for your computer. (ie: Movie Maker for Windows). The essentials are the same... and if you decide that editing actually sucks (not everyone is an editor, tbh) you'll be able to put that money where it makes the most sense.

Gah! Rambling again! :blush:

I use both PC and Mac for editing.

My Mac is a 2.0ghz single core, with 2G of ram. Runs Final cut pretty nice and don't have much trouble with HD footage unless i overload it or run multiple programs.

My PC I used to edit with was a 2.3 Dual core with 2G of ram, and I ran Vegas Pro pretty well on it. Not surehow much HD I did on it.

My new PC is a $1,200 custom built computer, and so it should run HD easy peasy :)

I personally hate to suport Apple, but Mac is dominate in the Film world, so that's why I have one. But I'm going to sell my Mac, cause I don't edit much anymore.

I like FCP, but I just prefer the easy peasyness of PC and its cheaper.

I just bought my new monster and after a lot of reading it seems like the most important things these days are processor, ram and getting a modern 64-bit OS. So that it actually uses the ram/processor.

After reading I grabbed an i7 system, brand new socket and really fast processor that seems like I'll be able to happily upgrade for years to come, also support tri-channel ram, so over time you can upgrade to ridiculous amounts like 32gb without much cost, etc.

Hope that helps.

was your 1.8 ghz cpu a dual core or just single core?
I've been using Windows movie maker for about a 3 or 4 years now, and have just started experimenting with free trials of the more advanced editing softwares. One of the main reasons i'm interested in getting a better editing program is because the XP of windows movie maker doesn't recognize HD video formats, (but also I find a need for more options).
Thanks for the advice! :)

i signed up for this site for this same question. im looking into editing hd footage too for films. i have a computer with a 3200 AMD SEMPRON PROCESSOR 512 MB MEMORY AND 160 GB HARD DRIVE

Is this good to edit HD footage? i mean , it wouldnt event let me use MAGIC BULLETS plugin tho?

i have a computer with a 3200 AMD SEMPRON PROCESSOR 512 MB MEMORY AND 160 GB HARD DRIVE

Is this good to edit HD footage

Not really. :no:

The RAM is just really small.

The processor speed could be better, but as is just means you'll have comparatively longer rendering times. So maybe it will take 3 hours to render a final cut, instead of one. If you have lots of time on your hands, it's no biggie.

Your hard-drive an external one? Using the same drive as your OS is not ideal, either (for both space & performance reasons), but it's not the end of the world if it's one and the same.

Your RAM is just teeny, though.

Not really. :no:

The RAM is just really small.

The processor speed could be better, but as is just means you'll have comparatively longer rendering times. So maybe it will take 3 hours to render a final cut, instead of one. If you have lots of time on your hands, it's no biggie.

Your hard-drive an external one? Using the same drive as your OS is not ideal, either (for both space & performance reasons), but it's not the end of the world if it's one and the same.

Your RAM is just teeny, though.

well, im not worried bout the render time because i would have to just deal with that for now till i get extra money. i'm hoping i have enough computer power to shoot some quick MUSIC VIDEOS in hd for musicians in my city to get enough money for better equipment. thats the goal. you think this is possible? music videos are pretty short. also, yes that hard drive is internal. same as OS.

well, im not worried bout the render time because i would have to just deal with that for now till i get extra money. i'm hoping i have enough computer power to shoot some quick MUSIC VIDEOS in hd for musicians in my city to get enough money for better equipment. thats the goal. you think this is possible? music videos are pretty short. also, yes that hard drive is internal. same as OS.

mite i add thanks for the quick reply. I am an audio engineer, so I hope this will give me a good advantage on getting into indi films and music videos. i've always been into writing, and have a creative mind when it comes to things so when I get the TECH stuff down I should be fine. I'm into audio engineering and graphic design already and want to take this knowledge and put it towards video production now

You gotta keep in mind that that 512mb RAM is also being shared by all the other processes running on your system, as well.

I suppose a lot would also depend on what kind of editing system you're running, too. In the example I gave (earlier in this thread) I was having massive issues running Premiere Pro & AEFX at the same time (on 2 gigs). I suspect the requirements of Window Movie Maker is a heck of a lot less - but so is the choice of editing options.

Why not capture or download some sample footage and give it a whirl?

You gotta keep in mind that that 512mb RAM is also being shared by all the other processes running on your system, as well.

I suppose a lot would also depend on what kind of editing system you're running, too. In the example I gave (earlier in this thread) I was having massive issues running Premiere Pro & AEFX at the same time (on 2 gigs). I suspect the requirements of Window Movie Maker is a heck of a lot less - but so is the choice of editing options.

Why not capture or download some sample footage and give it a whirl?

im in a debate between a old 3ccd camera or a used hv20 or 30

i know the 3ccd in my price range will not be as a good as a 20 or 30 but I have to start somewhere.

the computer i'm using is used for a recording studio i have set up.

i use ADOBE AUDITION 3 to record music and mix and master but it also has video editing built in.

i use sony vegas movie studio 9 for editing video as of right now

i have alot of money put into a recording studio and i'm trying to start video production off but it seems my computer will be the problem.

i only have the extra funds for either a hv30 and no computer improvements or a 3ccd camera and have extra money for camera accessories

i use ADOBE AUDITION 3 to record music and mix and master but it also has video editing built in.

Adobe Audition was retired a while back (replaced with Soundbooth), but even so... I don't recall it being able to actually edit video. :huh:

Could import a vid to sync sound to, though. Then again, I've never played around that much with audio.

funds for either a hv30 and no computer improvements or a 3ccd camera and have extra money for camera accessories

My current HDV editing machine was only $450.

If you're in a pinch for what you can afford to buy - why do you even need to own a camera? You probably know someone you can borrow one from. Maybe call in a favour or two, 'til you can get one of your own.

Adobe Audition was retired a while back (replaced with Soundbooth), but even so... I don't recall it being able to actually edit video. :huh:

Could import a vid to sync sound to, though. Then again, I've never played around that much with audio.

My current HDV editing machine was only $450.

If you're in a pinch for what you can afford to buy - why do you even need to own a camera? You probably know someone you can borrow one from. Maybe call in a favour or two, 'til you can get one of your own.

yep. i looked into your machine. i think i found an affordable gateway for 500 that will work great. i was thinking in the range of above 1,000 i had to spend on just a new computer but i was wrong..

by the way, i checked into sound booth. sound booth might be trying to replace audition, but it is nothing compared to audition.

audition 3 is a harder to learn but you can do way more with it in my opinion in audio engineering.

well thanks for the info. im bout to dive into the search engine now and get to researching.

HDV is not that big of a file compared to HD 720p and 1080p.

You dont need an HD editing system at all for HDV, because its technically HD compressed into SD.

Your PC is very low in specs, and for about 400-$500 you can get something that will edit smooth, and is well worth it. (its hard to edit if the video lags :) )

My workflow/clientele still requires Avid so this is my current system:
edit2.jpg

As soon as I outgrow my clients, I'll scrap this boat anchor and get a nice FCP suite for a fraction of what I paid for the Adrenaline suite. Long story short... get a mac, get FCP and let it grow with your needs (unless tied to the needs of your clientele)

Back