computer-related computer/laptop recommendations

Hi guys, I currently am using a Inspiron 15 3000 which was bought as an emergany fill in when my last laptop snapped in half.

I am curious what recommendations people would make for sub £1000 computer that is decent for editing?

Im fine with thing that are a few years older etc... as I'm aware I'm on a limited budget - I have seen macs are often mentioned for editing, I could get a 'Mac book air 7' but I'm confused as to weather its worth while as some sites are suggest it for video editing while others say its underpowered so no good.

Thank you

I would not go for a macbook air for anything other than basic browsing.
If you're comfortable with building, you can put together a solid desktop for under 1k.
Laptops are never very efficient unless you REALLY need the portability.

Reactions: BPM
I would not go for a macbook air for anything other than basic browsing.
If you're comfortable with building, you can put together a solid desktop for under 1k.
Laptops are never very efficient unless you REALLY need the portability.

Thank you for replying, I unfortunately know little about computers or building.

Do you think an older Mac Mini or Imac desktop would be any good?

Would likely be quite a bit older though like a Mini 7 or Imac 14 (so maybe 6-7 years old)

An older IMac may be a good option! Macs are inherently more expensive. I would try and get the 27 inch Imac 5k if you can. The older Mac-minis might not do so good.
I didn't recommend an apple computer since you are currently using an inspiron, but you can find some good deals for a used Imac on ebay.

Last edited:
Reactions: BPM
>'Mac book air 7' but I'm confused as to weather its worth while as some sites are suggest it for video editing while others say its underpowered so no good.

Even the less than serious editors have been moving away from Macs for years. Unless you're editing projects that require no grunt, editors tend to consider them overpriced and underpowered. Then again if you're looking at editing on a laptop I assume you're not that serious about editing.

What's wrong with what you have?
What's not working with your workflow?
What are you working with?

Back