Computer for running Premier

Hi,
I need to purchase a new computer that will be specifically for editing. I want to run Premiere CS 5.5 and I'm debating about whether to go with a PC or an iMac. I want something that will be powerful enough to where I don't have to update every year and that will allow me to export large projects as quickly as possible. I don't have a lot of experience with Premiere as I have been running Final Cut Pro HD on my ancient Powerbook, so I don't really know what the best set-up would be for this particular program. I'll most likely be getting the entire Creative Suite and don't want any of the programs to run slowly. At the moment I am shooting in standard definition with a Canon GL-2, but I might be moving to HD in the next year or two. My budget is around $3000, and I want to be able to burn DVDs. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers!

Shawn

Could you be a bit more specific? I know what the recommended specifications are from having a look on the Premiere website, but it says those are basically the minimum requirements and I was curious if there was anyone out there who is running CS5.5 now that could tell me what kind of a set-up would be best to get it running as best as it can. Like does it run OK with 8 GB of RAM or should I go with 16 (or more)? Is there a particular video card that I need? I'm pretty unfamiliar with PCs for editing and don't wanna make an expensive mistake.

Get a quadcore atleast.. i7 is even better..
8GB minimum..16gig is better..32gb even better...when it comes to video editing more RAM u have its better..go for 16gb as a starting point..it cn b easily added later..
you MUST get a nvidia gtx 480 or above graphic card to utilize the mercury engine and other features which are totally awsome! unfortunately ati lost out here..no these 3 things r essential for running 5.5 smoothly..running it for 4months without any complaints..

Get a quadcore atleast.. i7 is even better..
8GB minimum..16gig is better..32gb even better...when it comes to video editing more RAM u have its better..go for 16gb as a starting point..it cn b easily added later..
you MUST get a nvidia gtx 480 or above graphic card to utilize the mercury engine and other features which are totally awsome! unfortunately ati lost out here..no these 3 things r essential for running 5.5 smoothly..running it for 4months without any complaints..

Just a reminder, a 32-bit system can only utilize 3.5 GB of RAM.

A few months back I was going to get a AMD Phenom II X6 1055T, and a XSPC Rasa 240 kit. I never got around to choosing a motherboard or graphics card, maybe you can use these two products as a starting point. Unless you want an Intel chipset?

Prety good, seems over priced for the components. Plus, plan on maxing ram. NO reason for anything less then 64GB

Check this resource
http://videoguys.com/Guide/E/Videog...iting/0x4aebb06ba071d2b6a2cd784ce243a6c6.aspx

Go for the most PC you can possibly afford right now.

That's not true.

I can edit on my $381 (tax included) computer just fine, the graphics card sucks, but it's still possible to edit without any problems, I wouldn't recommend it though, not with a stock fan, but it's still possible.

I would probably get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103851

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131644

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...l_CPU_Water_Cooling_Kit_w_Free_Kill_Coil.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

Im not sure what your saying is "Not true" my statement of the kit shown as being overpriced, or my advice to "go for the most you can afford.".???

A '74 pinto or a 2011 vete.. you can drive either.. but ... :)

Last edited:
Im not sure what your saying is "Not true" my statement of the kit shown as being overpriced, or my advice to "go for the most you can afford.".???

Of course I can't speak for TheNoob, but I think I know what he was getting at. To me, it seems like what he is saying is that it started to sound like a souped-up PC was the only option out there for editing. Case in point, the PC that I edited a feature on cost half of the price of the one in Shawn's link.

That being said, it wasn't always a pleasant experience, and was sometimes downright harrowing, to be honest. I definitely would've wanted WAY more computing power, and I insist on having a super-computer for the next big project. But I got it done.

I can't be sure if this is the point TheNoob was trying to make, but for me it's definitely worth pointing out that while a super-computer is much to be wanted, it's not necessary. If there are any people who want to make films, but don't have money, they can rest assured that there are less-expensive options. That doesn't make any of what you said, "untrue", though. You make very good points.

I think I have a reading and writing disability.

Anyways, I didn't even check your link, and read below for what I was trying to say.

Of course I can't speak for TheNoob, but I think I know what he was getting at. To me, it seems like what he is saying is that it started to sound like a souped-up PC was the only option out there for editing. Case in point, the PC that I edited a feature on cost half of the price of the one in Shawn's link.

That being said, it wasn't always a pleasant experience, and was sometimes downright harrowing, to be honest. I definitely would've wanted WAY more computing power, and I insist on having a super-computer for the next big project. But I got it done.

I can't be sure if this is the point TheNoob was trying to make, but for me it's definitely worth pointing out that while a super-computer is much to be wanted, it's not necessary. If there are any people who want to make films, but don't have money, they can rest assured that there are less-expensive options. That doesn't make any of what you said, "untrue", though. You make very good points.
Yep.

I think CF knows that one of my rules is "do it NOW with what you have NOW" But thats not how this thread is presented. The OP wants advice on a new computer. If someone has the resources would either of you ADVISE them to get a SLOW PC with little RAM? He gave a $3000 budget. That is a GOODLY amount of cash, why advise him to skimp on anything? $3k Is almost professional dual xeon quad core WORKSTATION class. For $3K and little hassle Id buy a pre configured QUATRO based workstation. There are such things as "professional" computers too!

I think CF knows that one of my rules is "do it NOW with what you have NOW" But thats not how this thread is presented. The OP wants advice on a new computer. If someone has the resources would either of you ADVISE them to get a SLOW PC with little RAM? He gave a $3000 budget. That is a GOODLY amount of cash, why advise him to skimp on anything? $3k Is almost professional dual xeon quad core WORKSTATION class. For $3K and little hassle Id buy a pre configured QUATRO based workstation. There are such things as "professional" computers too!

I just wanted to stress the importance of hardware specification, and need vs want. It was nothing personal to anyone.

Definitely go for the iMac if you're willing to spend a couple extra bucks. I run CS5.5 on the latest iMac with 8gb of ram and it is PERFECT. It's ridiculously fast and the results are amazing.

Oh, for sure. I never thought you were doing anything other than concisely answering the OP's question, and I'm definitely aware that you support the shoot-NOW-with-whatever-you-can-get-your-hands-on mentality. Cheers. :)

Back