• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Compression question

There's many more questions contained in this question. There are 1,654,000 ways to make a file 500MB, it all depends on other variables.

- What kind of MPEG compression? What's your file extension? (.mov, .mpg, .m2v, .mp4)
- How long is the video in question?
- Where are you trying to deliver it? Youtube? A DVD?

I hate compression.

Its a video file on my timeline. I want to export it. Running time is 24 mins. Im trying to get it sub 500mb for Vimeo.

Ive no problem with it being 750mb for DVD. But I'd like to upload it to my vimeo account in one part as opposed to two parts. The internet doesn't do commercial breaks!!!:lol:

What operating system are you using? What software?

Vimeo might have recommended upload settings (it should suggest something like MPEG-4 compression or something). These are I would start with those because that way, you're going to be uploading the video in Vimeo's native format and it won't have to compress it twice.

Finally worked out how to compress stuff on my system. I just reconfigured the bit rate settings so the MB per minute rate brought the project in at under 500MB.

Thanks for the help A. Much appreciated.

Back