compare 2 software titles

hey everyone,
i'm debating whether to use apple's motion, or adobe's after effects. which one is better, from everyone's experience?

It's all relative really..

After effects has been around much longer, and as such has more of a proven track record, if you will.. but Apple is much more optimized as it is only available for the Mac.

Apple shake is available for both PC and Mac.. I haven't used any of the stuff on a mac, since I'm a PC guy, but I can tell you it takes much longer for shake to load on the pc than after effects. As far as features go, essentially all compositing software is able to do the same basic tasks, some have bells and whistles the others don't.

AE Pro allows network rendering, which I'm guessing Apple's stuff does too, since FCP has it now, I'd be surprised if Motion (and shake) didn't.

It comes down to a few main points that you will have to base your decision on.

1. What do you want to do, and what might you want to do in the future

2. Does it need to be cross-platform capable (for instance, if you are collaborating on a project, and are using motion, then the PC guy you're working with is unable to help, if you're using After effects, you can share the work files, and not have to exchange pre-rendered bits..)

3. How important is overall program performance (Obviously anything that is running on its native machine PC for After effects, mac for ANY of apples software, will run better than on the cross-platform version.)

4. How much third party support do you want/require/etc (This is probably fairly close at this point, though I think there might be more plugins available for after effects)

Those are the main points I can think of at the moment, not mentioning the obvious cost of software and whatever.. hope that helps at least a little bit. Basically you have to determine for yourself 'which one is better' because typically a mac person will say mac software is better and a pc person will say pc software is better. The best thing you could do is try both of them (dunno if that's possible) and decide from your own hands on use.

Good luck!

Back