• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Commentary Track

I'm recording behind-the-scenes commentary for my most recent project this weekend. I've never done one of these before, so I'm wondering if there is anything I should watch out for or make sure I do before I start.

My plan is to record is on an external mic (3 people will be giving group commentary) and then load the audio track either directly into the DVD program or possibly mix it with the existing project audio in my editing suite first. I'm using FCP Studio 7 FYI (yes, still).

Technical advice as well as general insight is welcome. It seems like it should be a pretty straightforward thing, but since I've never done it before I don't really know for sure.

I would suggest keeping each person on their own separate track during recording too, if possible. That way all the voices can be brought into similar levels of loudness and EQ'd separately as well.

Create a sync point, be it a flash you'll remove later, or what-have-you. When you see it, verbally acknowledge it. And pay attention to sample rates and frame rates. I've been screwed here before.

Back