• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

colour correction

Anyone on the boards here know anything about colour correction? I really know little about it and want to know more. What kind of programs and techniques are involved?

At first glance, it looks like you either need to boost your highlights and/or mids a smidge in the first shot, or drop them down in the second, then maybe boost saturation a tad in the second shot (though that might happen anyway when you adjust the highlights).

At first glance, it looks like you either need to boost your highlights and/or mids a smidge in the first shot, or drop them down in the second, then maybe boost saturation a tad in the second shot (though that might happen anyway when you adjust the highlights).
That helps with exposure definitely but my colors are still way off.

I'm no expert by far at this. But my brain is thinking that it would be easier to add color to the bottom image, rather than take it from the top one. If I was going to try doing that in photoshop I would duplicate that bottom layer and then maybe use a blend mode (maybe color burn?). If that doesn't get it close enough, you could tweak that top layer with hues or curves/levels until you get it just right.

Not sure if an NLE can do that stuff exactly, but if it can I'd try that out. Also, it could be a pain, but individually masking and color correcting specific areas in the frame separately could give you more control and make it easier, if more time consuming...

I'm no expert by far at this. But my brain is thinking that it would be easier to add color to the bottom image, rather than take it from the top one. If I was going to try doing that in photoshop I would duplicate that bottom layer and then maybe use a blend mode (maybe color burn?).
Not sure if an NLE can do that stuff exactly, but if it can I'd try that out.

In photoshop I can match them rather easily using just 'Color Match', but unfortunately Premiere Pro doesn't seem to have anything like that.

If you are in final cut pro...

Crop the frame to a flesh tone area only (face or arm).
Bring up the video scopes (under tools)
In a 3-way CC, make your mid color adjustments to bring the resulting pixel spread in line with the flesh line.
Eye ball the rest of the image correcting whites to white and blacks to black (use your scopes for these as well).
Use the frame viewer (under tools) to load the 2 clips in a split view to make it easier to match them.

This is primary color correction...

Then apply a secondary correction to get the "Look" you want from the images... don't try to do too much at once. Here is where you'll push the highlights to blue and the mids to red or whatever you're looking for... it's non-destructive, so play around and see how far you can push them before they break down into noisy goo :)

The process is probably the same in other packages, I'm just not sure what tools they have available.

Hi, this might be a late reply but maybe it will help you in general.
I am not an editor but I think grading should be done in an application that allows absolute control over image, preferably a node based compositor at least. That way each process can be separated, like first I am gonna get the threshold levels right or maybe have three threshold nodes for highlights, mid range and shadows to manipulate them separately.

I found these two articles which might help you...

http://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2009/12/05/color-grading-effects-demystified/

And

http://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2010/03/13/grading-with-color-wheels/

Some free node based compositors are out there,Blender,Ramen and maybe Houdini. Just google for tutorials.

Hope this helps. :)

Yes Blender is pretty awesome for a free software. The new alpha version has a jazzy interface and some new colour correction tools as well. The footage preview window doesn't work for yet tho,cant zoom in and out.
But hey cant complain, they are developing it and its free...

Back