• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Color lighting

Hi!

So when trying to create a situation (that is, a warm ambient, cool and so on..) Lets say I use a CTB gel on my work-light to match the outside light (5600 K), do I have to put the CTB gel on the fill, the back light as well? (maybe even the background light)?

First of all this is not about mood, it's about consistency. Yes, some gels are for mood, but what you are talking about is keeping the color temperature consistent, so yes, you would shoot all 5600, or all 3200, etc.

Meaning yes, you need to maintain a constant color temperature. If you don't gel the windows they will look blue.

Why would you simulate sunlight at night when you can shoot during the day? That makes no sense. You'd still balance the color temp. Even if an HMI was outside the window.

You'd need expensive lighting to simulate sunlight. But as far as color temp. goes, it needs to be consistent. One color temperature. Do you want half of the fame to be cool and the other warm? No. In contrast they will appear as orangish and bluish.

yeah I just watched a video explaining that its NOT good to mix both, it blows. Just one. :) BTW, when does "mood" step in? I think its how the lighting is set what determines the "mood" right? Example: the key light is set about 90degrees from the camera and thus resulting in a more dramatic look? Is that it? :)

Meaning setting the mood with lighting. Shadows, colors, whatever. Blue for sadness, red for anger.

Back