Color Correction Software

I come from a Photoshop background and I've gotten very good at manipulating color with its many tools, but whenever I open FCP 7 and try to color my footage with the 3-way color correction filter, I always feel so limited. I like to get very creative and most of the time I'm not trying to match the colors of real life.

Is there any better software out there with more control or am I just not utilizing all that Final Cut has to offer?

What is the industry standard in Hollywood post-production? I've seen videos of professionals with color grading hardware and actual physical color wheels, but that's probably too expensive for me.

Resolve 10.x does work with ATI, albeit less performant.. as resolve 10.x supports openCL along with CUDA.

That said, my MBP has an nVidia gpu ;)

Also, building a hackintosh is fairly inexpensive, very stable, and you have a lot more options available to you than what apple offers. Not to mention a lot more upgradability. Perhaps I should start a thread detailing my new hackintosh. Suffice it to say, I'm running a 4th generation i7 at 4.2GHz, with 32GB ram, a SSD for the OS & software, an nVidia GPU (with room for another), and 8TB internal RAID0.. about $1800 in parts, and one evening of assembly. Only thing I'm lacking is thunderbolt, though there are options available for that as well. EVERYTHING in OS X 10.9.1 works flawlessly -- sleep, speed stepping, you name it.

Last edited:
Resolve 10.x does work with ATI, albeit less performant.. as resolve 10.x supports openCL along with CUDA.

That said, my MBP has an nVidia gpu ;)

Also, building a hackintosh is fairly inexpensive, very stable, and you have a lot more options available to you than what apple offers. Not to mention a lot more upgradability. Perhaps I should start a thread detailing my new hackintosh. Suffice it to say, I'm running a 4th generation i7 at 4.2GHz, with 32GB ram, a SSD for the OS & software, an nVidia GPU (with room for another), and 8TB internal RAID0.. about $1800 in parts, and one evening of assembly. Only thing I'm lacking is thunderbolt, though there are options available for that as well. EVERYTHING in OS X 10.9.1 works flawlessly -- sleep, speed stepping, you name it.

A build post would be good.
Also did you get those monitors you were looking at yet? If so, how have you found them?

Back