• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

cold weather and cameras ?

Anybody have experience with transporting camcorders in winter weather? I have a Canon XH-A1 and wonder about whether to transport it in 0F to subzero temperatures in the car to a destination. I can of course warm the car up before taking it to the destination (indoor shoot), but coming home I would be transporting the camcorder to a parking ramp and a very cold car and then driving home with a cold car (I.e. I could not warm it up as I could before leaving my house). I certainly would not want to damage my XH-A1. The shoot is just for practice, I will avoid the shoot if at all damaging to the camcorder. I think the camcorder's operating temperature minimum is listed as 32F Thoughts?

lock it in a Pelican case. I take my cameras in and out of harsh weather conditions, rain, cold, etc. I rely on my Pelican cases and some silicagel to protect the equipment from condensation. Generally, when bringing equipment in from the cold, I let it warm up before I break the seal on the case. If I have the luxury.

as long as it acclimates (changes temperature) in the case! I played violin in high school...have to put it in the case before you take it outside and let it warm back up once you've taken it back in before removing it from the case...watch people with glasses move form indoor to outdoor sometime and watch their glasses fog up...that's water from the air freezing to the cold glass. If that happens to your camera, it'll eventually melt into water inside your camera/lens/electronical doohicky! Bad JUJU!

If shooting outside in the cold, let the camera come to temperature in the case (pop the lid, but leave it closed - the insulation seal is broken, but the moisture is still low), then take it out and shoot...put it back in the case outside and let it warm back up inside the case.

I am going to have to buy one of those cases. Until then I am not going to take it out in the cold. Especially since I just got an email back from Canon tech support saying it is better not to transport it below the minimum oper temp of 32F (of course they have to say that I know).

On a related note--- the Pelican case would be good for travel too, right? And is there anything that could be done to prevent theft of the camcorder when traveling, by luggage inspectors, or do you just take your chances? I guess I almost trust them more than myself-- if I were to try and bring the camcorder in a Pelican case onboard it might not fit overhead and I might forget it when disembarking!

lock it in a Pelican case.....

I'm not sure what the rules are now, but Pelican cases have a provision for a lock (padlock). I would try to carry most most expensive equipment on my person, but that may not be allowed anymore.

Regarding temperature changes; taking your camera from the warm into the cold is not really a problem. It is taking it from the cold to the warm that creates condensation on everything. The camera will survive some abuse; it's not just going to turn into a rust heap the first time it gets a little moisture in it. To be safe, remove the main battery and let it warm up and dry out before turning it on; should you bring a cold camera (or other piece of electronic gear) into a warm place.

I am pretty hard on equipment. I've even tossed a couple of two-way radios into the river, retrieved them, dried them out and am still using them today. I don't recommend it, but if you need to abuse your equipment a little to get the shot, remember the equipment is useless if you never take it out of it's case!

I was reading about a guy who was shooting a documentary on elephants in Africa. He said it was very muddy and he'd sometimes have to toss his camera to higher ground, so he could scurry out of the way of an approaching bull. H said he wiped off the mud and kept shooting, and the camera continued to function for the entire project. He had it serviced when he returned to the U.S.

I was out shooting on a motor boat a couple of weeks ago and my Nikon fell from a shelf onto the floor while I was looking at a navigation chart. I picked it up and went back to shooting with it. Although the manufacturer won't tell you to toss your camcorder into the bathtub or bounce it off the floor, they do design portable gear with some hazards in mind.

I brought my camera outside for shooting in the snow. It was -something. Freakin cold. I noticed the LCD screen start to ghost after 5-10 minutes of shooting in open air. I figured the LCD crystals were getting cold so I wrapped it up and took it back inside. It's fine. I use my camera every chance I can to learn it in a variety of conditions. I take the attitude that if you don't get out and use your camera in a variety of situations its going to be obsolete before you know it. That said, there is no substitute for a good case and protecting your camera. I also wrap the camera in some fabric inside the case as well to provide extra insulation. I noticed in transporting it in cold weather very little difference to the touch temperature of the camera after bringing it back in. The Kata case I have is also insulated so that must play a factor in keeping the inside atmosphere stable.

Tony in MN

Streaming sports

Hello,

I am very new to cameras but my company is streaming a ski event this week in Collingwood Ontario Canada. I am looking for any information that will help me protect my equipment from the cold. I am not sure of camera location yet but know the elements will play a factor in our day. Outside of building a shelter whats the next best solution to filming skiers....

thanks,

Most prosumer cameras are fine down to 20 degrees F in most cases which is probably about as cold as it gets skiing. Nobody skies in sub zero temps where most cameras would have problems. The Panasonic HVX200 and Sony EX1 are very useful for cold weather use because they are shooting to memory cards so less moving parts to freeze up.

Noah

We just had a run of -25F (that is on the thermometer, that does not include wind chill) up here where I live in northern Minnesota. That creates a whole new set of outdoor shooting problems at such unholdy cold temperatures.

Most prosumer cameras are fine down to 20 degrees F in most cases which is probably about as cold as it gets skiing. Nobody skies in sub zero temps where most cameras would have problems. The Panasonic HVX200 and Sony EX1 are very useful for cold weather use because they are shooting to memory cards so less moving parts to freeze up. Noah

The biggest problem you'll have with cold is battery life. If you can use grid power, that's great. If not, keep a battery in your inside pocket so you can swap the cold one for a warm one, and then put the cold one in your pocket so you can use it again.

When I was shooting in Minnesota one blustery day, the temperature was about 20 below and the wind chill was 80 below. I was shooting a film camera, but I had to keep the battery warm while I was trekking or when I went to shoot a photo, I'd get no response from the shutter release. The camera was fine, otherwise.

Another -20F day this morning, -50F with wind chill. Sigh. Well, it is good writing weather, not much else to do. My problem is my shorts I have written are all outdoors-- our great commodity here in northern MN. I need to work on writing a couple of indoor shorts that do not depend on weather, temp, rain, etc!

The biggest problem you'll have with cold is battery life. If you can use grid power, that's great. If not, keep a battery in your inside pocket so you can swap the cold one for a warm one, and then put the cold one in your pocket so you can use it again.

When I was shooting in Minnesota one blustery day, the temperature was about 20 below and the wind chill was 80 below. I was shooting a film camera, but I had to keep the battery warm while I was trekking or when I went to shoot a photo, I'd get no response from the shutter release. The camera was fine, otherwise.

Yes, when it's 20 below zero and you're not shooting ice sculpture, the equipment may be the least of your worries. It may or may not work, but at least it won't complain loudly. I can hear some of the people I work with, "WTF were you thinking?!!!!".

I had a standard transmission in my Ford F100 when I lived in Minneapolis. I remember on really cold mornings, I'd have to put both feet on the dash and pull like hell to get the truck out of gear (slight exaggeration), then (with the transmission in neutral) I'd have to let the clutch out very slowly to keep from stalling the engine, because the lube in the transmission was almost solid.

You know what they say, "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!" ... that's life in Minnesota! ;) Most of the people I work with down here in North Carolina think 40 degrees is frigid!

Doug

I will no longer complain about 110 degree summer days here in GA! ;)

Yes, when it's 20 below zero and you're not shooting ice sculpture, the equipment may be the least of your worries. It may or may not work, but at least it won't complain loudly. I can hear some of the people I work with, "WTF were you thinking?!!!!".

I had a standard transmission in my Ford F100 when I lived in Minneapolis. I remember on really cold mornings, I'd have to put both feet on the dash and pull like hell to get the truck out of gear (slight exaggeration), then (with the transmission in neutral) I'd have to let the clutch out very slowly to keep from stalling the engine, because the lube in the transmission was almost solid.

You know what they say, "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!" ... that's life in Minnesota! ;) Most of the people I work with down here in North Carolina think 40 degrees is frigid!

Doug

I remember as a student going out at -20 and putting a stew kettle under my crappy car and draining the oil, taking it inside, heating it to boiling on the stove (yeah I know, going out and putting it back in the car to try to get it to start. MN stinks with cold weather. And we even get hot humid shit in the summer but just for a few weeks. I am moving somewhere in a few years though with a more moderate climate-- PLEASE give me ideas anybody! I have not traveled much so I do not know many places, esp in the USA. I was thinking maybe North Carolina, Outer Banks? South of France? Greek island of Santorini? (Summer Lovers, interesting film shot on Santorini-- plus Daryl Hanna totally in her birthday suit<g>). I feel a need to live near the ocean or sea somewhere.

...I had a standard transmission in my Ford F100 when I lived in Minneapolis. I remember on really cold mornings, I'd have to put both feet on the dash and pull like hell to get the truck out of gear (slight exaggeration), then (with the transmission in neutral) I'd have to let the clutch out very slowly to keep from stalling the engine, because the lube in the transmission was almost solid.

Doug

Sh*t! Up here in northern MN (Duluth, childhood home of Bob Dylan just blocks from my house actually) in the spring when it hits +40 we are out in shorts and T-shirts and sandals, that is a heat wave after a winter of demonlike cold. :)

.... Most of the people I work with down here in North Carolina think 40 degrees is frigid! Doug

I grew up in MN and I've lived/worked in a few, scattered places. Each of them had their pros/cons. It would be hard to recommend anything to someone given that some people like places I was not fond of and vice-versa. I do like being near the ocean/water, but that is a personal thing. The climate down here in NC is mild (at least it's mild by my standards). The movie business in Wilmington, NC is doing Ok. There are opportunities there for ambitious people. Also, Wilmington is a college town, if you're looking for night life, etc. I hated Raleigh, NC, but it is a more progressive area with more professional opportunities. I also lived in Santa Fe, New Mexico for a while. That was interesting, but too arid for me. It was also an expensive place to live.

To be honest with you, I think my favorite place to live is still Minneapolis, MN. The quality of people in MN makes up for the harsh climate. Minnesotans are pretty rugged, outgoing, and well educated people. If I got uprooted again, I'd probably move back to Minnesota.

Interesting (Wilmington NC), I will research it some more. Yeah I lived in Mnpls for six years when I was at the U of MN, very cultural city. Beautiful campus (been used for several movies, e.g. "With Honors" (Joe Pesci, Brenden Fasier, Moira Kelly) where it was "Harvard" but in fact was the U of MN, others). At least in mnpls I could hop a plane anytime and be off to a warm destination.

... The climate down here in NC is mild (at least it's mild by my standards). The movie business in Wilmington, NC is doing Ok. There are opportunities there for ambitious people. Also, Wilmington is a college town,... To be honest with you, I think my favorite place to live is still Minneapolis, MN. The quality of people in MN makes up for the harsh climate. Minnesotans are pretty rugged, outgoing, and well educated people. If I got uprooted again, I'd probably move back to Minnesota.

Back