Closer

haha - oh you nearly conned me into thinking you had wit
(proud of that one, its got to be my first racial slur on these forums, and at 102 posts in thats quite a feat) :yes:
and did you see ginger spice's bosoms in that film?!? i am no fan of the larger ones (memories - bad), but those two deserved their own buddy buddy film, or at the very least credits as stunt-doubles.
why did you find the characters likeable?(closer)

Last edited:
Nique Zoolio said:
haha - oh you nearly conned me into thinking you had wit
(proud of that one, its got to be my first racial slur on these forums, and at 102 posts in thats quite a feat) :yes:
and did you see ginger spice's bosoms in that film?!? i am no fan of the larger ones (memories - bad), but those two deserved their own buddy buddy film, or at the very least credits as stunt-doubles.
why did you find the characters likeable?(closer)

i don't take kindly to racial slurs zool

Back on topic now lads.

Something I noticed with closer.. is that none of the characters are very likeable really... they are all pretty messed up individuals. I guess I liked this film coz it does show the best & the worst parts of relationships.. beauty, love, irony, painful secrets, lust, infidelity & hurt. It has so much innocence in parts that it contrasts so well with all the lies & manipulation.. I liked it because it was full of contradictions, just like all of us..

Mr.Blonde said:
Back on topic now lads.

Something I noticed with closer.. is that none of the characters are very likeable really... they are all pretty messed up individuals. I guess I liked this film coz it does show the best & the worst parts of relationships.. beauty, love, irony, painful secrets, lust, infidelity & hurt. It has so much innocence in parts that it contrasts so well with all the lies & manipulation.. I liked it because it was full of contradictions, just like all of us..
yeah, i liked it how the characters were unlikable, i've always liked unlikable characters, i dunno why, i guess just because they can get up to so much more than a likable, hero type character. They have more possibilities and can just be so much more fun

Dimp Paddy said:
i guess just because they can get up to so much more than a likable

all they did was cheat on each other and share dialogue that was not even witty or clever or quick.
if you are right in that unlikeable characters can get up to more (not so sure about that, for they have to stay unlikeable to be unlikeable thus they are just as restricted)
then surely the fact that all they do is cheat, swear and talk poor dialogue -
doesn't that make its failure even more apparent?

i like the film, i found the characters interesting, isn't that enough? stop badgering me for more. And can't you just say you didn't like the film instead of saying its not clever and so on?

Nique Zoolio.. are you just taking key words from our posts & working from that? Coz it does seem that way. The characters are likeable simply because they're relatable.. & what makes us see the faults in ourselves does make them unlikeable at the same time. People do cheat on each other and share dialogue that isn't witty, clever or quick. If you don't like moves where people act like real people.. then maybe you have a problem with reality.

Dimp Paddy said:
i like the film, i found the characters interesting, isn't that enough? And can't you just say you didn't like the film instead of saying its not clever and so on?

to be fair to me dp,
you began this thread by saying:

'discuss'

all i was trying to do was to understand why you liked it. a discussion is more than just two people saying completely autonomous POVs and leaving it at that. thats a pair of monologues. i was trying to appreciate your POV thats all. i was trying to make the conversation amount to something for me - to appreciate a POV that wasn't mine and further myself. thats all.

stop badgering me for more.

fair enough.

Nique Zoolio.. are you just taking key words from our posts & working from that? Coz it does seem that way.

yes. i was trying to understand what you meant by analysing it so that i could appreciate what you were saying on a higher basis than as a statement of opnion, and rather a statement of anaylsis.

The characters are likeable simply because they're relatable.. & what makes us see the faults in ourselves does make them unlikeable at the same time.

i see what your saying!!! thats what i was pressing for!! i just wanted to understand why you felt the way you did about the film, and now i do. i was just pressing for what was underneath your opinion in terms of anaylsis - and now that you have provided that, i feel enlightened towards this film. Thanks.

People do cheat on each other and share dialogue that isn't witty, clever or quick.

i realise that, however, previous reasons that people have given me for liking it has been the dialogue, and i didn't understand that as a reason.

If you don't like movies where people act like real people

i do actually, i just didn't find this realistic until your above analysis was put forward to me.

.. then maybe you have a problem with reality.

thats probably why people watch film for a start.
yet on a personal level, yes, i do have a problem with reality.
i want to make the world better. better by furthering myself, and concurrently furthering my understandings of different POVs. i'm very sorry if i have upset you by trying to do so.

My wife really enjoyed Closer. Last night after watching Sideways (which I think is a better example of real life than Closer) I asked her what exactly she liked about Closer. She said that it was interesting to her to see what some people thought about love and sex and the relationship between the two. So I asked her if she thought the movie was realistic. She replied that it comes off as the characters being too dramamtic to be real, but if you think about it, how many "drama queens" (or kings) do you know in real life?

POke

A few..teenagers are strangely dramatic about silly little flings.

I liked sideways alot, & I agree with you..it did seem more realistic.. I liked that everyone looked... normal..y'know?

Poke said:
how many "drama queens" (or kings) do you know in real life?

i'd say we all are. we all want to feel that whatever we fill our days with are in someway part of a larger picture than what they are in themselves. sometimes you grow out of it - i used to be very dramatic about this relationship I had, we started dating when we were 16, and I was definitely in love (and not afriad of really silly gestures to show it). However, she left me last week (20 yrs old now) - and i really think that she was the only person i would ever be with - and its strange. i'm almost in limbo. no drama, no tears, just getting on with stuff. suddenly i am 16 again, weak, honest, promise PROMISE.
but - my life has become more dramatic in others aspects. my academic work has become my gift to the world - which is just stupid, fooling myself into thinking it'll change anything in the world in the long run.
my point - we're all drama monarchs, part of the 'human condition' - i just added the stuff about my love life to test myself. sorry bout that. ignore it.
bottom line - we all want to be more than we are - and that often leads to dramatic feelings or the desire to aquire such emotions.
i am looking forward to Sideways. :)

Last edited:
In some ways i found the film/characters 'lifelike', and some moments i didn't, but i enjoyed the film, and that is what matters, if you enjoyed it or not. Cheers.

^ haha, thanks. I thought the movie was 'filmed' in the same way Alfie was, to me it had that same look to it. Or it could just be that they were both about sex and had Jude Law in them.

Back