Closer

so I saw Closer last night, I thought it was really good, I've been a fan of Clive Owen's since I saw Guy Ritchie's short film/advert or BMW and I think he really deserved the Golden Globe. My only real complaint is with Julia Roberts, I don't like her so much... I haven't seen much of hers but in what I have seen, she plays the same character except for in The Mexican, but then again, that was just the usual Julia with some eccentricity.

but yeah, enough of what I thought, i want to see what you lot think of it.

Discuss.

Dimp Paddy said:

I have to say i found it quite a weak and poor film.
alot of people who liked it say that the dialogue was great. it was far from that - some scenes felt like they had been written by a bunch of sexually repressed babies. the plot was predictable. the characters - uninteresting. i think mike really let himself down with this one.
why did u like it?

i just found the characters likable, mainly because they weren't typically "good people" they were real in a sense, they did stupid things, they wronged each other, but they lived with their decisions. I liked that. The story was a little predictable but it's more of a character film than a story-based film, so I was watching it for the characters.

Also, the cinematography, it wasn't exactly award winning or anything but I liked it, it took what would usually be a back and forth conversation and made it a little more interesting to watch (which is important for a film with so much dialogue). Like Dan and Alice talking in the bathroom and you see Alice in the mirror and the back of Dan's head while he's shaving, I thought that made the scene a little more fun. And when Anna meets Larry with the papers for him to sign, it looked really good with each on opposite sides of the screen, her in white, him in black, it just gave it a nice symmetry.

It was a film that, when watching it, it made me want to just go out and make something, anything. I love films that make me feel like that. (Another film that does that is Coffee and Cigarettes, if you haven't yet, check that out :))

I really liked it.. I thought it was very real.. & full of humanity.. at it's best..& sometimes at it's worst, even if a little over-done at some points with all the emotion. Very well acted too. Natalie Portman was awesome.

Mr.Blonde said:
I really liked it.. I thought it was very real.. & full of humanity.. at it's best..& sometimes at it's worst, even if a little over-done at some points with all the emotion. Very well acted too. Natalie Portman was awesome.

come now, go into more detail than that! lets hear your opinions on the technical side of the film, you know, more info!

The story was a little predictable but it's more of a character film than a story-based film, so I was watching it for the characters.

the characters were just as predictable as the story. More so. 'Real people' - are they really like that? I really hope not.

, the cinematography,- I liked it, it took what would usually be a back and forth conversation and made it a little more interesting to watch (which is important for a film with so much dialogue).

It was ok. Having one character in black, one in white - it would have been much more in keeping with the idea of the film if they were both in white.

it made me want to just go out and make something, anything. I love films that make me feel like that. (Another film that does that is Coffee and Cigarettes, if you haven't yet, check that out

It made me feel that way because I felt that I could do so much more and better. I also saw c + c - and same feeling. minus a couple of the conversations (coogan sticks out in my mind), it was just not good.

Last edited:
well i'm kinda tired right now Zool so i can't really go in depth, but i just liked the characters and how they are presented to us. They're fun to watch and the filmmakers bring it to us in an interesting way. that's all i can say now because i'm about to pass out

I have described Closer as a film with a couple of good performances (Owen and Natalie "Hoochie Mama" Portman), but overrated in every other way.

The dialogue, especially during the arguing scenes, was back and forth as far as good vs. bad, but in the scenes where they just sit around and talk I felt the dialogue was too snappy and too witty. Not even I (the Grand Master of Witastic Cleverosity) am that quick with my tongue.

Poke

Poke said:
a couple of good performances (Owen and Natalie "Hoochie Mama" Portman), but overrated in every other way.

The dialogue, especially during the arguing scenes, was back and forth as far as good vs. bad

that is no reason to credit the film is it. i mean, good v bad - a child could write that.

I felt the dialogue was too snappy and too witty.

it just felt wholly unrealistic, and that would be fine, but the characters themselves were quite 1-dimensional (if that) which meant it all felt way too contrived to be enjoyed greatly, or even at all.

I'm with you on this Poke - one of the most overrated slices of cinematic pie i have ever had the misfortune to put in my mouth.

Thoughts anyone? What in particular did y'all like?

Nique Zoolio said:
but they are so full of cinematic goodness........

hmmmmm......spiceworld......hmmmm.....big boys do birmingham.......

spice world = cinematic goodness?? man, no wonder you didn't like Closer

hahahaha I kid, I kid

Back