• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

CLONING FIGHT SCENE

In my upcoming short promo for my intended feature there is a huge fight scene climax using about 20-30 guys whom the 5 females leads are fighting. I am trying to figure out the most effective way to do this without without using all those extras. Someone suggested cloning. The male henchmen will be wearing the same costumes, mask and gloves and such. We were thinking of using actual 5-10 guys and just doing the cloning effect from there. This might be much easier time wise and such but welcome suggestions. Thanks.
:director:

I was trying to find a video copilot tutorial they did, using two guys, and made it look like a whole swat team. I can't seem to find it. But you do some lock down shots, you could do this with just a few actors, and as long as you keep track of their placements, you could composit multiple lays, in after effects, and make it look like many are fighting. Inter cut the lockdown shots, with the hand held close ups (for that action fighting style shaky cam). You might be able to pull it off with just a few actors.

Yeah what jeff said. If you keep the camera in one spot and shoot several different takes with the henchman in different spots and fighting differently then you should be able to layer and composite those clips together with masks.

and then once that's done you can do an effect to make the camera shaky, not only for an actiony feel, but it'll help hide the easy cloning trick.

dawn of the dead (the remake) did this cloning trick in the massive crowd shots outside the mall. Those are all about 30 actors portraying thousands of zombies. i'll try to find a video of it for you

Yes that's the thing about keeping the camera in one spot. We have 2 camera persons. There are close ups and several angles of the henchmen getting punched kicked flipped spouting blood, etc. Making the camera shaky?

Well you keep the camera in one spot for the long shots that show all 30 of the henchmen. When you do closeups and different angles or whatever you don't need to see all of them right? Trying to clone them in a moving shot would be pretty difficult I'd think.

Wide shots, you use a locked down tripod. You can do multiple takes, and layer together to create the illusion of many henchmen. When you do close ups, you won't see as many, so you can do close ups of a pair fighting, and put another pair or two in the background, to create the illusion of being in the middle of the crowed. In your fight area, you need to mark positions, so you can remember where everyone is. Doing this, you can do diffefent wide shots, from various angles. Then when doing close ups and mid shots, you can follow your ground markings to know who and how many other fighters might fall into frame.

What he meant be creating th camera shake. On your lock down shots obviously the camera will be stationary. You can use a shaky cam plug in, to give some camera shake to your lock down shots. So it's not too jarring to the viewer, going from locked off shot, to shaky handheld action shot.

If you plan this right, you could use 3 pairs of fighters, and create the illusion of dozens of fighters.

You have to plan, plan, plan, plan, and plan some more. Draw some diagrams, couple stick figure storyboards. You cant wing it on a shot like this.

Last edited:
Ok, after reading the original question once again. There are 5 female fighters, and 20-30 henchmen. So with that many henchmen, you won't be having 1 on 1 fighting. It will be 1 against multiple fighters. I doubt the henchmen will stand in line and wait to be dispatched.

I would attempt to film this like this.

I would shoot the locked off wide first. Taking your henchmen (let's say you can only get 5 henchmen extras). I'd place my my female fighters (probably 1 or 2 in this take). Have them engage a number of henchmen. Make sure to take note of positions. Use gaffers tape on ground. You might even have to create areas or a grid, so people don't fall into space that will be taken up by other fighters.

Without moving tripod, put next female fighters into action again some number of henchmen. Making sure,they keep in their area.

Repeat as many times as need be.

Load that footage onto something you can view, so you can recreate specific moves in close ups and so on. With your ground markings, you'll be able to frame the background of the close ups, with however number of henchmen and female fights you need. You can get the wide and composite to create a mass of fighting henchmen that are engaging your 5 female fighters. Shaky handhelds for close ups can give you that action movie feel. Your wide shot need only be on screen a split second, and the majority of the shots be mids and close ups. But if you planned and took note of your wide, it will make filming then close ups and mids a breeze, to give the illusion of 20 to 30 henchmen.

Last edited:
Camera movement will help your fight sequence.

You can pan/tilt on your Hero Plate, shoot lock-offs of the other groups, and track the group plates to the Hero.

Unless you are already a skilled compositor, I recommend shooting the Hero Plate nodal using a panoramic gimbal head.

Thomas

Last edited:
Back