climbing money ladder

Reading some material on movie financing.

So, as I understand, new filmmakers typically have to make a film, then make a deal afterwards.

In order to get 20,000,000 for a movie, first I need to make 2,000,000 feature.
To get 2,000,000, make 200,000 feature
To get 200,000, make 20,000 movie
And to get 20,000, filmmakers start off with 2,000 web feature.

And In order to climb the ladder, I have to show a net profit from my last features to obtain larger sums of money..

So, my question is when, hypothetically, I 'll make first $2,000 feature, how would sales generate from it to show profit to potential investors?
Self distribution?
Or feltival recognitions would work as well?
I'm assuming that the first $2000 feature wouldn't really make much of tickets sales, since its typically played only on film festivals.. or would that be enough to gain the profit?

Nate, I have another take on this.. its the two sides of the same coin kinda thing..

Gaining lots of wealth requires a willingness to take risk, to act fast and to go with your instincts. The flip side of this is that those same attributes make one inherently conable. There really aren't that many pragmatic folks rocketing up the success ladder, they (we) tend to slow growth and stagnation.

There are four ways to acquire wealth; inherit it, steal it, win it, and earn it. Old money is called that because it's not going anywhere. Sure, the rich get that way by taking chances, but they stay that way by playing it safe. The nouveau riche (new rich) are your target demographic. You're looking for someone who is on the upswing, they're a bit looser with their money. Youth of the investor also plays in your favor. Dale Carnegie wrote that the way to get someone to do what you want is to make them want to do it. You do that that by figuring out what gives them a feeling of importance and pressing that/those button(s).

Nate. Sometimes it's in the approach. Maybe you should have asked for his help in looking over the business plan to see if everything made sense. Tell him you are going to approach some investors and just want his advice. If it looks good, he might ask to invest in it.

Back