CINEMA 4D

I installed Cinema 4D R12 today and all the section things for it. So far so good, except the HD render time when i export to video, 1920x1080. Pretty stoked to see the final product, and in the background I've been coloring an Apache Longbow. I was wondering on other's thoughts about the program? So far my only complaints are price ($8,700ish for it all), the render time, and price. Good purchase by work, and I think we may have gotten a discount for the competitive side-grade! Epic program!

P.S. I don't actually know what work paid for it, but if you go one the Maxon site, and add up everything, it comes to about $8,700.

Last edited:
Do you mean $870? C4D goes for less than a grand anywhere.

C4D is considered a lower end 3D app (compared to 3D Max and Maya the "industry standards") but its decent application to learn on.

I don't know how much. But the cheapest is Prime for $995. We got everything, Broadcast is listed as $1,695, Visualize is listed as $2,295, and studio is $3,695. I just assumed you add them together. But you say C4D is lower end, I disagree. In my opinion, Maya and 3D max is "Lower end." When I worked for the state, I used 3D Max, and I hate it. Also it's not what you have but how you use it. Here's the demo reel that swayed my super to buy C4D. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJSOsyImbF0 I don't want to start a debate, but this is another Mac V. PC, or FCP7 V. Premiere.

Do you mean $870? C4D goes for less than a grand anywhere.

C4D is considered a lower end 3D app (compared to 3D Max and Maya the "industry standards") but its decent application to learn on.

Not to steal thread, but Anim8, i long debated between cinema 4d and Maya and was told you can pretty much do the same in either one. Maya is the "industry standard" because it is better ? or ?

or is it just like the case with Final Cut and Premiere pro? can do the same thing, but final cut is wanted by pros?

I don't know how much. But the cheapest is Prime for $995. We got everything, Broadcast is listed as $1,695, Visualize is listed as $2,295, and studio is $3,695. I just assumed you add them together. But you say C4D is lower end, I disagree. In my opinion, Maya and 3D max is "Lower end." When I worked for the state, I used 3D Max, and I hate it. Also it's not what you have but how you use it. Here's the demo reel that swayed my super to buy C4D. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJSOsyImbF0 I don't want to start a debate, but this is another Mac V. PC, or FCP7 V. Premiere.

Wow your really good! this is all done with Cinema 4D? just adds to me wanting to get it! @ 2:04 (the skate board clip) is it hard to animate like that?

Maya started out as Alias back in the day which was Silicon Graphics before that so they were able to get a strong user base before becoming accessible to the average user. Industrial Light and Magic, Pixar, Dreamworks, Blur, Digital Domain, Weta and most of the other top VFX houses are Maya based. Maya has a scripting language and API that allows it to be modified easily. Most of the big companies that do animated features have a custom GUI and tool-set running on top of Maya.

Autodesk owns Maya and 3ds Max now. I started with Autocad and 3D Studio and Maya back before there was Windows! So they also had a large user base from various fields right out of the gate.
C4D has roots back to the Amiga days and was the first real 3D package for the Mac. Remember Babylon 5 ? That was all C4D and Lightwave.

If you were just starting and wanted a career in 3D, Maya would be the package to learn first. I say first because most studios use more than one package because of the strengths and weaknesses of each and to suit the artists in the chair.
If you've seen any theater release movie since Jurassic Park that contained any type of 3D VFX, 9 times out of 10 you were looking at work done in Maya. Maya has a really strong tool-set but the learning curve is steep. It feels like they just threw icons and menus in randomly and the GUI is not real sleek, but its getting better with every release. But if you know it well, youre ahead of the game.

3ds Max is the fastest package to me. I can do things in it faster than I can with Maya, C4D, Modo or SoftImage. Its laid out in a way you can understand and the learning curve isnt too bad. The analogy Ive heard from most animators that know both packages is that Maya makes simple things difficult and difficult things simple.... and thats about the truth.

C4D is a nice package. Hunteq got all the modules to go with it (thats why it was so much $$). The only reason I would rate it third is because Maya has superior animation (especially for character animation) tools and Max has better modeling (although not as good as Modo) and thats where the majority of your time is spent. C4Ds modeling is quite a few steps behind and thats a big deal to me. C4D has a nice looking renderer and its pretty quick. Its not a "bad" package to know by any means, but in the industry its not nearly as common as the other two. Over the years it has borrowed a lot from Max, Maya and Lightwave... but in fairness, they all have borrowed from each other.
One of the things this release of C4D does really well is hard and soft body dynamics. I do think C4D is the Lightwave killer. The trend seems to be that the LW houses have moved to C4D, which I dont see as a bad thing.

If youre creating bumpers, titles and lower third stuff, any of the packages would be fine. Its the small things, like making revisions quickly, geometry modifications, handling heavy mesh files/scenes, import/export, material workflow, organization, etc that stack up and make that fun quickie project turn into an all night grind.

I'm not bashing C4D, just stating my experience... My favorite software to use is the one that gets me paid.:D

If you get good results out of it, use it. If it looks good, it is good.

And you cant judge a software package by its demo video.... Even blender has a good demo... lol

Back