Christopher Nolan vs. David Fincher

I'm sure I like and respect them and their work both. I don't know them personally, but I'll hazard a guess that they're both reasonably decent human beings. I like the films of both.

That covered, I'm more of a fan of Fincher's films. Nolan's films are fine to good, but I'm sorry to say that I haven't been very thrilled with them. The Batman movies are overrated, and not the best comic book adaptations made. Way back when, when Momento was the hottest thing since sliced bread, I didn't get why all the adulation. Maybe if I rewatched it now, I'd find new love for it and change my tune. I too prefer The Illusionist to The Prestige.

Last edited:
That covered, I'm more of a fan of Fincher's films. Nolan's films are fine to good, but I'm sorry to say that I haven't been very thrilled with them. The Batman movies are overrated,

I understand you. To me fight club is also overrated.

I think Nolan has an edge. His movies seemed to really utilize the use of editing as a part of the overall story. The Prestige is my favorite film from him. The Batman series is great. I think they all tie in together really well. As a comic book fan the stories seem like they could be from the modern comic book world of Batman.

I agree that Fincher gets more from his actors than Nolan. Overall it seems like Nolan is able to get the most out of every aspect of his movies.

Interesting note: They both like the films of Tarrence Malick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVUXDn6hCY4
(what are they talking about?)

Last edited:
They are both pretty good actually. Fincher likes to do darker movies, Nolan seems to often want to stick to a more teenage audience on some level. So Nolan may be good for teens a lot, with the occasional adult movie, and Fincher is good for adult movies, with pretty much all his movies being adult. So it depends on what you're after. Both are very good for what they do.

I like Fincher's editing better I must say. Nolan's editing does feel hurried a lot, especially after Insomnia for some reason.

This thread has mostly been an interesting read, but I'm thoroughly disappointed in the lack of attention paid to the issue of the no-holds-barred death-match. Get with the program, people.

For real who cares which one makes a better movie. which one could win in a gladiator style battle?!?!? I mean people come one check your priorities.

Inception awakened that passionate director hidden deep within me back in 2010 when I was 17. I watched all of his movies since then, and I sort of feel that he is a master. But The Dark Knight Rises disappointed me towards the end of Act III. Building a character so-big and bully like Bane, and FINISHING his character rather than ENDING it, and the rushly made Auto-pilot element didn't feelt that cathartic like Nolan's earlier works. Apart from that I've great respect for Nolan.

Fincher, I've watched his movie Se7en, and still do... It's a really fantastic movie... I've been greatly influenced by that work of his. But I haven't watched any other movies of his yet.

Inception awakened that passionate director hidden deep within me back in 2010 when I was 17. I watched all of his movies since then, and I sort of feel that he is a master. But The Dark Knight Rises disappointed me towards the end of Act III. Building a character so-big and bully like Bane, and FINISHING his character rather than ENDING it, and the rushly made Auto-pilot element didn't feelt that cathartic like Nolan's earlier works. Apart from that I've great respect for Nolan.

Fincher, I've watched his movie Se7en, and still do... It's a really fantastic movie... I've been greatly influenced by that work of his. But I haven't watched any other movies of his yet.

Oh man same here bluechip!!

I also feel that DKR is slightly weak..

It's very cool you've seen Se7en. I find it so interesting you haven't watched his others! But most movie's he's made, personally I've found them so different. Every time I learned something I was filmed by Fincher, I'd be pleasantly surpirsed.

If you like movies that take place in the past, (can't think of the term for this, but think of Forrest Gump) you should check out Zodiac. And it's also an interesting detective movie taking place in San Francisco.

Fight Club is a classic, one of the reasons I got interested in Edward Norton.

And most recently, Girl W/ Dragon Tattoo really blew me away. You're doing yourself a disservice by ignoring his films!!

I find it hard to compare directors to one another to figure out who I think is the better director. I look at each director individually and compare their own work against their own work.

We all have our own views on which film is better, which is worst, who has better skill, better talent, more ability to get a great performance out of an actor so to me making a judgement on something like this...I can't do it.

What I can tell you is which films of each director I have seen that I enjoyed and why:

Seven: I saw this film on video and the ending for me was totally unexpected, shocking and stuck with me for days after viewing. I rank this film very highly because of it's tone and atmosphere and I think it is one of Brad Pitt's best acting roles (Twelve Monkeys, Fight Club and Burn After Reading are on my list as really good Pitt performances).

Seven's story is really well executed and it is a psychological experience of great magnitude.

The Dark Knight:

This film has a very powerful psychological effect on me and it is one of those movies that stay with me in my mind as effective and immersive experiences. The Joker's code of chaos versus Batman's code of ethics makes for very intense scenes. I would classify this film as a psychological action thriller that just happens to be based on a comic book character.

The Dark Knight Rises:

I stand proud to say that I feel this film is a worthy entry into the Nolan Batman trilogy. It does have it's shortcomings, plot holes and other issues but I think that what was set up in Batman Begins, escalated in The Dark Knight and paid off in The Dark Knight Rises all goes together well considering that each film was tackled one at a time without being envisioned as a trilogy from the beginning.

You could probably say from the fact I've only mentioned one David Fincher film in this post that I favour Nolan over him. The truth is that the only other movies by Fincher I have seen are Fight Club, Panic Room, Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Alien 3.

What do I think of those films I just mentioned? In all honesty I would have to sit down and watch them all again. The last time I watched Fight Club was the year it came out and the same goes for Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

I saw Panic Room a couple of years after it came out and I watched Alien 3 a couple of years ago (which interestingly enough isn't a bad film when you watch Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection after one another - Alien 3 is the much better film out of those two but when it is compared to the first two films Alien 3 falls flat)

What I will say of Fight Club from what I remember is that the ending was something I didn't see coming and that Brad Pitt's performance was interesting and effective.

As for Panic Room, it's not really a memorable movie for me so I can't say anything that really stands out except for the camera work in that film, especially the camera moves that incorporate use of CG.

In the Curious Case of Benjamin Button I was impressed by the visual effects that went into it. I felt it was a strange and serious version of Forrest Gump in that it was about a man who had and led and extraordinary life, experiencing some interesting things.

The last thing I will say in this particular post is that comparing Nolan to Kubrick is something that half of me thinks is a fair comparison but the other half of me does not. Stanley Kubrick was an elusive and thorough director whose films are unlike others that have come before or since.

Nolan in some respects is similar to Kubrick but I would say that he is similar in the sense that he has an ability to create a story that has many levels to it apart from surface appearances.

Kubrick had a lot of hidden narrative and subtexts within his stories. Nolan's films have a lot of substance to them. I would say that David Fincher's best film would be Seven and that is a film that has a lot of substance to it as well.

Last edited:
Back