Choosing a prosumer camera

Hello, I am new here. I bought premiere on this website so I could learn tips and tricks for making movies. So, I have a question for you guys. I don't have a camera, but I have edited a lot of footage. I edit on Windows Vista using After Effects, so the camera must be compatible with this setup. You can just skip to the bottom, because I kind of ramble (looking back on what I just wrote)

I did a lot of research on the camera that's right for me, I originally expected to spend about one thousand dollars on a camera. I realized once you go past the "consumer" cameras, the prices increase exponentially. I have a 5 year old SD camera that records in a very low resolution, so I don't want another cheap miniDV camera. The next step up from that was HD miniDV cameras, like the Canon HV20 and the Sony Handycam. Those seem to have great image quality, but I'm looking to make films with my friends, and film bands or other events for money. So, the image quality is a part of it, but I want good sound, manual controls, and the ability to improve the camera by adding shotgun mics onto it and different lenses when I can eventually afford those.

Past the $1000 range, there is the prosumer cameras which I am interested in. They arent too pricey (over $3000) and they don't have all the features that a professional camera has that I would never use. Out of all these cameras, I really liked the Sony FX7 and the Canon XH A1. I liked the Sony FX7 a little better, because of its price tag of $2000 (plus it had a high speed mode which could be fun to mess around with). Now that I read more and more reviews of the Sony FX7, most people seem to say for that price you might as well just get the better FX1 or the Canon XH-A1. Now that I read about the Canon equivalent, I think I might as well get that. But to make this long story shorter, I'll just sum up what I like and don't like in these cameras and I would like an opinion on what to get:

Sony FX7:

What I like: Cheapest prosumer camera, high speed mode, never been disappointed by a Sony product. It doesn't have a professional mic input, but I could just use an adapter (and no interchangeable lens, but same deal for that)

What I don't like: I heard it wasn't good in low light (A MUST FOR MY CAMERA, I'm filming at night!) Read for this price you might as well spend a little more to get the XH-A1

Canon XH-A1

What I like: Good in low light, xlr inputs (I think), has everything the FX7 doesnt, 24p mode, seems to be a much more popular camera, apparently was used for Crank 2, I remember liking their wide angle lenses and camera in that movie.

What I don't like: Read people had problems with Windows Vista, not full 1920x1080 HD? (not the end of the world, but I'd like that as an option.)

I'm willing to spend 2,500 dollars on a camera give or take. I'm sure plenty of people will say if I've never shot videos before I should just get a cheaper camera, but then I could just use my friends HD handycam, I want a camera I can use for 5 more years. If someone could just tell me which camera I should get, or things I should know before buying either, that would be very helpful. It would be great to hear from someone who owns these cameras. I'm also willing to look at other cameras if you guys can suggest better ones!

Back