Chit-Chat, Blog AND RANT: WHAT THE H*LL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE???

Okay, so I've made my disclaimer already, this thread has nothing to do with film, but I think it highlights a life lesson. Here is a picture of my 22-pound, handicapped (three-legged), 12 -year old Cavalier.

delaney.jpg

Today, I was walking my dog, on a leash; admittedly on a restricted area of a park service beach, but since it's off-season, many locals do the same. We were down by the shore, Laney was sniffing around some weeds and I was watching an eagle searching for a meal of fish over the lake. I hear screaming from behind and as I turn, a Black lab has his jaw locked down on my dog's head. Instinctively I pulled my leash, stupidly thinking the lab would break loose. He didn't so I punched him in the head, he let go but before I could grab my dog, he was on him again. I jumped on the ground over my dog and forced my clasped arms over Laney's head finally getting the lab off. I was completely covering my dog on the ground when the lab's owner finally arrived. He grabbed him by the collar and pulled him off us. Well you know, the adrenalin kicks in and out came a string of expletives (couldn't help myself). Rather than ask how me or my dog were the man proceeded to admonish me on my use of foul language. ?!?!!!??? Then he implied I was partially at fault because I was on the beach with my dog. I told him that if the "beach" incited his dog to attack, then maybe his dog should never be by the beach. Of course, it was MY FAULT that his (loose)dog bolted the 200 feet down a hill and pounced on my 22-pound, handicapped dog intending to tear him to pieces. I got the guys plate and filed a police report of a dangerous animal.

Here is what I learned from this incident: I'm going to try to fear nothing (one of my biggest fears was that Laney would be attacked and that I wouldn't be there)....because your fears always come true, the mind mulls it over to the point where it truly does manifest into something tangible. Better yet, I'm going to try to think of the best things happening to me, mull those over and hope they take on a life of their own. BTW, Laney is in perfect health, he's a scrapper.

bird said:
Then he implied I was partially at fault because I was on the beach with my dog..

...um, 'scuze me if I am slow, but... wasn't his dog on the beach also?? I mean, if his dog was trying to make a snack out of your dog, didn't he have to be on the beach to do it??? :hmm: this guy must be a
rocket scientist..

...people are dumb :yes:

--spinner :cool:

Aw crap, Bird!

Are your arms ok? A co-worker of mine tried to defend thier dog as you did, and got a huge gash. Stupid people not leashing thier dogs...

And he yells at you for expletives!! Ha! Here's hoping the police go a-knockin on his door.

Spinner, his dog was (loose) in the parking lot. I may have broken a reg by walking my dog on the beach, but his implication was I was partially to blame because I was in an "area" I shouldn't have been...how that is a factor in his dog running 200 feet to attack my dog, I dunno. Just an attempt to deflect blame, what an ass, oops, I should be scolded.:D

Spatula, nope, no gashes... I had a wool coat on over a sweatshirt and his owner was able to pull him off. I just thought the lecture was so absurd in the context. I mean your dog did just try to kill mine....'anybody in there?' Funny thing though, immediately after the incident the Marina owner came out to see what the commotion was about.....believe it or not, the guy had a collection of six (loose) dogs following him, all varying breeds of spaniels and the youngest (12 weeks) was a Cavalier. This just gets MORE bizarre....

Very odd behavior for a lab. Labs are known for having soft mouths. My own lab brings me live rabbits all the time. Of course he's licked almost to death but other than being slobbered on they're fine.

Sure glad you and your dog are alright.

I'm sorry that happened to your dog there Bird. That sux!

You know, I carry a little pocket knife with me and it's partially because of the same fear. Not that my dog will get attacked but my kids. I would try once to get that dog away and if that didn't work, there would be a slit throat real quick. I don't mess around when it comes to the safety of my family and if I had a dog, it would be family too.

My neighbor's dog was behind their 6' tall wood fence. A little cocker. A lady was walking her dog by their house and the neighbor's dog went to the fence to smell/listen to what's walking by. Well the lady's dog busted it's head right through this fence and grabbed the bottom jaw of the neighbor's dog. The lady had a pit bull and a guy from across the street came running over and just hit the pit-pulls jaws like a jack hammer, until it let go. We think that the guy broke the pit's jaw but it was NOT letting go. Needless to say, the neighbor's dog was OK. But I wonder what would have happened. I called the cops and the lady got a fine. She tried pointing the finger and the other dog or the guy but it was heard on deaf ears. The cop knew who was at fault.

Keep your dogs on a leash everyone!

Wish I had been there...

bird said:
Okay, so I've made my disclaimer already, this thread has nothing to do with film, but I think it highlights a life lesson. Here is a picture of my 22-pound, handicapped (three-legged), 12 -year old Cavalier.

delaney.jpg

Today, I was walking my dog, on a leash; admittedly on a restricted area of a park service beach, but since it's off-season, many locals do the same. We were down by the shore, Laney was sniffing around some weeds and I was watching an eagle searching for a meal of fish over the lake. I hear screaming from behind and as I turn, a Black lab has his jaw locked down on my dog's head. Instinctively I pulled my leash, stupidly thinking the lab would break loose. He didn't so I punched him in the head, he let go but before I could grab my dog, he was on him again. I jumped on the ground over my dog and forced my clasped arms over Laney's head finally getting the lab off. I was completely covering my dog on the ground when the lab's owner finally arrived. He grabbed him by the collar and pulled him off us. Well you know, the adrenalin kicks in and out came a string of expletives (couldn't help myself). Rather than ask how me or my dog were the man proceeded to admonish me on my use of foul language. ?!?!!!??? Then he implied I was partially at fault because I was on the beach with my dog. I told him that if the "beach" incited his dog to attack, then maybe his dog should never be by the beach. Of course, it was MY FAULT that his (loose)dog bolted the 200 feet down a hill and pounced on my 22-pound, handicapped dog intending to tear him to pieces. I got the guys plate and filed a police report of a dangerous animal.

Here is what I learned from this incident: I'm going to try to fear nothing (one of my biggest fears was that Laney would be attacked and that I wouldn't be there)....because your fears always come true, the mind mulls it over to the point where it truly does manifest into something tangible. Better yet, I'm going to try to think of the best things happening to me, mull those over and hope they take on a life of their own. BTW, Laney is in perfect health, he's a scrapper.
Wish I'd been there... I would have put him and his lab in the hospital... LOL. Glad you're both okay! Tomorrow is another friggin' day... LOL.

filmy

Boz Uriel said:
Very odd behavior for a lab. Labs are known for having soft mouths. My own lab brings me live rabbits all the time. Of course he's licked almost to death but other than being slobbered on they're fine.

Yes, my family believed this about our Golden retriever/Yellow Lab mix, that is, until it ripped my sister's tear duct out. There are breed generalizations, some good, some bad, and not always indicative of true bahaviour. Thank you for the well wishes.

Thanks Cootdog and Filmy. You're right, Filmy, it is another day and I've learned a lesson, so it wasn't wasted on me and Laney seems to have forgotten all about it...playing with his stuffed animals and eating his bones.:) Like I said, he's a tough, little scrapper.

Last edited:
CootDog said:
You know, I carry a little pocket knife with me and it's partially because of the same fear. Not that my dog will get attacked but my kids.

Good idea Coot. I do the same, only with a Glock 30...8 rounds of .45 caliber 'insurance'!!

Chris

P.S. And I'm glad there were no injuries Bird. It is amazing what people do and say when they screw up. It's never their fault. They always find a reason for it being the victims fault. I remember that there are/were two lawyers in San Francisco who were keeping pit bulls for a client that was in jail (I believe for murder, but I could be wrong). The pit bulls killed a young lady. It can and does happen. They were tried for murder themselves, as they knew in advance that the dogs were dangerous. They blamed the whole incident on the poor dead girl. She shouldn't have been in the common hallway of the apartment/condo complex. Hope they rot.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris.

I remember hearing about that... beyond horrible. That's why I reported my incident to the police, so there's a record of this animal's behaviour. That dog has the potential to do great harm...Sorry if I'm harping on this too long, but the truth is it would have killed my dog.

Yea Fresno does get a little rough in some places.

But unless you have a concealed weapons license, it's illegal to carry it.

For me, the pocket knife is enough to the job, and that's to get the dog to stop attacking. I don't care if it dies or not, I just need it to stop.

That dog is someone's pet too.

Its sad really...likely the owner of the dog has trained it to be agressive..the poor dog just thinks its making his owner happy..I found it interesting that the dog owner never stated that it hadnt done this before...In my opinion theres no place in our society for dogs that attack..dogs that attack humans should be shot ...

Well, now that I think about it.

If I'm at the beach with my kids and a dog runs up and clamps down on their leg. I'd probably want it dead too. If I was in that moment, feeling those feelings, having all the adrenaline pumping through my veins, I'd probably kill that thing.

Actually, I hear this ALL the time.
I believe that the problem stemos from that fact that people thinks that dogs, and pets are 'property' and therefore disposable. If the dog had attacked your child it would have been a drastically different matter!
Why?
Of the 61 Million Dogs in the US, over 47% are considered to be 'Part of the family.' There are stories ALL OVER my site (at http://www.HandicappedPets.com) about people who have spent their bottom dollar on products and vet bills for an elderly, disabled, or handicapped pet.

Perhaps there's a change brewing -- perhaps, slowly, people are getting an appreciation and respect for all life forms. I Hope So.

Mark Robinson
www.HandicappedPets.com
For Elderly, Disabled, and HandicappedPets -- all the Products, Services, and Support you need to care for them.

Well I totally agree with you... Pets ARE part of the family

Would I react the same way if it was a person attacking my child? Would I kill the person? If I had to, yes.

I don't have a dog right now so I can't say that I'd kill someone for attacking my dog, but a member of the family is family. I think that if I were to attack someone for attacking my dog, I'd be at fault because of the society in the US, well and the law. I believe pets are considered property according to the law, however there have been court cases that say the contrary.

There was an interesting move in CA to change the language from "PET OWNER" to "PET GUARDIAN." I wrote an article about it for www.HandicappedPets.com.
This would support those that wanted pets to be treated as more than property.
Unfortunately, the proponents of this bill soon saw that they were getting unexpected support from the Legal Industry. If pet's are not property then they can sue their owners for abuse, neglect, and more. It opened up a can of 'worms' with questions about what constitues an animal with rights? Can you be sued by the can of worms you just opened?

Mark Robinson
www.HandicappedPets.com
For Elderly, Disabled, and HandicappedPets -- all the Products, Services, and Support you need to care for them.
So it was dropped.

WOW! Very interesting. Did the movement fizzle or is it still being worked on...

That is a big can of worms...

My ants escaped from my ant farm and the neighbor killed them all with Raid... Is the neighbor getting sued? Is the kid neglegent?

What constitutes a pet, a mammal? What about my Iguana?

MAN!!! That is a very big can of worms, HUGE!

Welcome to Indietalk, Mark. I visited your site and registered Delaney. I'll be submitting his photo and story. What a great need you serve! :)

Sorry to hear about the dog trauma. That must have been scary.

I've still got scar in the palm of my left hand from where a German Shepard decided to use me as a chew toy, when I was seventeen. Which is so long ago Blondie were in the charts, for the first time.

I used to work in a boarding kennel when I was a kid and my boss always said "There's no such thing as a bad dog, just bad owners."

As to what's wrong with people, well that's a topic with no end really.

But really bird, shame on you and your potty mouth, I mean people might drop dead hearing profanity in public places. It's a well known fact that foul language is the primary cause of 99% of all wars, famine and herpes. Especially if said by a young lady.

Just to finish, my favorite Kinky Friedman quote "Money will buy you a fine dog, but only love will make it wag it's tail."

Back