Indigo Blue Studios
Genre:
Crime
Length:
Feature

http://www.vimeo.com/1007983

Score:
3.5/5

Wow, The Robinson Brothers know how to make a movie! The young men from Baltimore were apparently inspired to maker their own film by watching indie icon Robert Rodriguez' now classic “Ten Minute Film School” featurette on the DVD of “Once Upon A Time In Mexico.” Their resulting film “China White” represents a stunning debut from a pair of filmmakers who, if the fates play out in their favor, could really be the next big thing.

Visually bold, exciting and inventive, “China White” gets off to a strong start and never lets up. Like so many films today, there are multiple, loosely related storylines going on at once, broken up into chapters based on which characters are being followed at the time: “The Menstrual Messenger”, “Sneaky Little Vixens”, “Preparation For A Murder” among others, all circling around the drug trade in the Baltimore --- and if this description brings to mind HBO's classic series “The Wire”, let it be said that any similarities begin and end there.

Sure, we have all seen countless movies about drugs and bad guys in tough situations before but it’s been so long since I have seen something so fresh, a vision so wildly bold. The Robinsons deserve a lot of credit for creating a film that impressively avoids clichés of the genre and manages to be compelling without relying on action, excessive gunplay and gore.

Good acting, really fine production values that in no way scream out “this is a low budget film” and a post-production/graphic design element that is so imaginative and well-realized, make “China White” one of the most exhilarating film experiences that I have had in a long time.

My only problem with the film is that, at just around an hour long, it is too short.

Last edited:
Back