Cheap mics/ lighting kits

I currently own a Canon GL2, but besides that and Final Cut Express, my list of equipment I actually own is basically non- existent. I'm going to be shooting a short film soon (I have the script done all ready), but I don't want it to look completely like a home video. I have an extremely small budget (less than $1,000), so I was wondering what you guys would recommend as far as cheap audio and lighting solutions.

All your lighting needs can be purchased in the halogen worklight section of Lowe's for under 100 dollars.

As far as sound goes, you could use: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/367747-REG/Rode_NTG_2_NTG_2_Shotgun_Microphone.html

Solid shotgun, 270 bucks, good bargain for starter audio. Pop it on an aluminum boompole and you're ready to go. Just get an XLR adapter so you can plug it into your GL2 (I don't think the GL2 has XLR connections).

Boompole: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._110CCR_KE_110CCR_Avalon_Series_Aluminum.html

That's in fact the one I use, and it's worked out great.

So there you go, that's sound and lighting for about 600 bucks.

Thanks for your reply. However, I know pretty much nothing about lighting (editing is my strong point), so which kinds of lights specifically would I want to buy? I do mostly short films with a very small cast, if that helps at all.

Lowel makes nice kits. Tungsten lights with stands, barndoors and hard case.
Britek makes nice light kits - cheaper than Lowel and not as durable, but very
usable. You can also check Arri lights - more expensive and worth every penny.
I have a Lowel 6 light kit with the Omni’s and Tota’s that I bought new in 1990
and am still using it 19 years later.

For a nice DIY light kit I recommend:
A couple of work lights with stands from any home improvement store.

Five or six “scoop lights” - those clamp on work lights with the silver reflector.

Three or four pieces of Foamcore from any art supply store to use to bounce
the light.

Two or three paper lanterns that you can get at Ikea. I hook each one to a dimmer
(home improvement store again) to get better control.

Some colored gels (check on line or if there is a small theater in your town they
often have extras) and some black wrap. Check Studio Depot

This example kind of puts all the above links in perspective.

Lowel makes nice kits. Tungsten lights with stands, barndoors and hard case.
Britek makes nice light kits - cheaper than Lowel and not as durable, but very
usable. You can also check Arri lights - more expensive and worth every penny.
I have a Lowel 6 light kit with the Omni’s and Tota’s that I bought new in 1990
and am still using it 19 years later.

For a nice DIY light kit I recommend:
A couple of work lights with stands from any home improvement store.

Five or six “scoop lights” - those clamp on work lights with the silver reflector.

Three or four pieces of Foamcore from any art supply store to use to bounce
the light.

Two or three paper lanterns that you can get at Ikea. I hook each one to a dimmer
(home improvement store again) to get better control.

Some colored gels (check on line or if there is a small theater in your town they
often have extras) and some black wrap. Check Studio Depot

This example kind of puts all the above links in perspective.

The work light he linked you can pick up for about 19.99 or so at Lowe's or Home Depot, things are really cheap at the stores. I use a 1600 watt dual head work light I picked up if I need lots of light, I just bounce it off a wall or cieling. I use 500w work lights for things like keys and fills, etc. Very easy, no real need to drop the money on any expensive light 'kits'. I've toyed with light kits that others I know have, and I've found that my homemade lighting kit produces light the same as their lights -- who woulda guessed. :)

I use blackwrap to shape the light and aim it where I want to go, and I'm also in the process of making my own barn doors out of sheet metal for my worklights.

Personally, I can't see spending money on any light kits after seeing how easy it is to just use work lights and do it all yourself.

Back