Cheap/DIY car rig?

Hello guys .

I have a chase scene between 2 cars .

I one to get some cool looking shots and mount my camera around the car , however I can't actually trust absolutely anything and I don't have the budget to buy super expensive ones . I don't happen to own GoPro as well.

Any ideas you guys might have ? Thanks .

I believe the frugal filmmaker has a diy method of mounting a camera to the hood of your car for little money. I'd find and post for you, but I'm on my phone and can't seem to track it down.

Thank you all.

I was already doing the truck and the car with the roof thing but I wanted to add the GoPro or just those car rig shots to my arsenal as well.

But I guess this is not going to happen without spending money.

One of the most depressing things about being a filmmaker :mope:

So true.

On a somewhat related note, this thread gave me an idea.

I have a Honda Del Sol that I use as my daily driver. For those of you not familiar with the Del Sol, it's a little two seater with a removable hard top and a rear window that rolls down.

I've thought about buying second hard top and creating some sort of permanent mount that can be controlled from within the car (by a passenger of course). The passenger could also aim a camera out the back window as well.

Then when filming is done, just put the stock hard top back on the car and I've got my daily driver again.

It's just an idea that I can't afford at the moment, but I like it. :)

For the go pro, strap it to the grill of your chase vehicle... wire a cable to the passenger who can watch the frame and advise the driver what driving adjustments to make for framing.

Zip ties with a little sponge behind it to help cushion it slightly.

Back