• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Changing Light Positions

I am working on a short film. The final project of my college. I had to ask one thing. In professional film making while shooting the scene (internal + external) normally do the position of lights change? because i am confused if we can change the position will it not effect the scene lighting and all over mood of the scene?

Please guide me to this

regards

When shooting a scene you should be lighting each and every individual shot. No matter how quickly it is going to flash up on screen. If each shot is lit properly and consistently then your scene should be flawless as far as lighting and mood. It takes a lot of knowledge and practice to achieve this type of skill. Even something as tightening up a shot may need to be re-lit depending on how wide it starts and how tight you may have to go. There is a lot to lighting and it can make or break a shot very easily.

You may not HAVE to change the lighting...If you go from a master to a CU, and the direction of the shot is the same, you probably won't have to do any lighting change...maybe just a tweak here an there.

An experienced lighting designer, DP, or Cinematographer will think in advance to what is needed, the shot list, and optimal placement.

When the direction of a shot is changed (ie. the reverse shot), you're going to most likely need a lighting shift. That's why many times directors will shoot out of sequence and get what's needed for one direction, before doing the reverse shots that require a light change.

Hmmm so it means light positions can be changed....

Absolutely, most of the time they MUST be changed. The DP lit the scene to look good from angle "A", it still looking good when you switch to angle "B" is not usually going to happen. As Michael mentioned this is one reason you shoot out of sequence. If I have 4 masters from different parts of the movie that are all shot in the same location from the same angle, and are supposed to be the same time of day (for example), the DP will light the scene and we'll shoot all 4 masters before breaking down the lights.

Back