• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Celtx vs other softwares.

I'm using CELTX right now. How does it compare to all the other screen writing software out there? seems to be quite a lot to choose from

It's fine.

Meat&taters.

Anyone reading your spec script via PDF isn't going to care or notice what program was used to generate it.

Sh!t won't shine just because someone used a $150 program to write/excrete it.

Celtx is great for the price!

Final Draft seems to be what's used more professionally. I have noticed there's a slight difference in how Celtx and FD layout their PDF scripts - generally FD is a little tighter and therefore results in fewer page numbers - important when estimating script length. As FD seems to be used more professionally, I would imagine FD is the more accurate one.

You can pay for the upgraded CeltX which provides a few more widgets. But frankly, most of what you need is available except for dual column when characters speak at the same time. But a note in the script is sufficient to make that clear.

If you're also producing the script, it provides awesome tools for creating a production schedule, tracking props/effects, creating call sheets, creating character sheets, putting together a storyboard, and providing line counts.

CeltX is clunky in switching roles between dialogue, character, action, parenthetical, slugline, etc. But once you work with it, it becomes second nature. FD is much nicer in that regard but in the beginning the advanced features don't justify the money. It's the writer, not software, that makes for a great script. With CeltX you can switch media to a Play format or Comic format. Again, you need to go through and adjust things. CeltX is also fairly limited in how it imports files; it needs to be plain text. However, it does a fairly good job of guessing what you meant but expect to go back in and make corrections.

For the price (free), you have a powerful production tool. A lot of my screenplays I write in Word using a blank template. I can save it to PDF from Word. However, when I'm working with an indie director or as AD, it helps to use CeltX. Then it's easy to go from script to markup and scheduling quickly. CeltX is a useful tool that grows with you. A lot of the original screenplays were composed on typewriters. ;)

Last edited:
I use Celtx a lot, I paid for it as I feel the company does a great deal for the filmmaking community as well. Great program, very recommended.

I didn't find the switching between dialogue/sluglines/etc all that clunky, but I haven't used FD so perhaps I'm unspoilt in that regard. Once you get the hang though, it is definitely easy enough.

My one "peeve" with Celtx, is typesetting it PDF requires an internet connection. Generally not a problem, but I do dislike not having any sort of offline option.

CraigL

Download the older Celtx 2.9.1: http://download.cnet.com/Celtx/3000-13631_4-10850080.html

But frankly, most of what you need is available except for dual column when characters speak at the same time.
Nah, it's there.
At least in the 2.9.1 version it is.

20130814Celtx291Side-By-SideDialogPart1_zps15010408.png

20130814Celtx291Side-By-SideDialogPart2_zpsabbe48bb.png

Celtx is great for the price!

Final Draft seems to be what's used more professionally. I have noticed there's a slight difference in how Celtx and FD layout their PDF scripts - generally FD is a little tighter and therefore results in fewer page numbers - important when estimating script length. As FD seems to be used more professionally, I would imagine FD is the more accurate one.

In FD there are various screenplay formats available, i.e, Cole & Haag, Warner Bros, etc. that distribute the white space differently, changing the length of your script. The FD built in PDF converter works better than using Acrobat.

Also, if you sell something in Hollywood you're going to need a FD copy for re-writes, notes, revisions, etc.
There are a few people who use Hollywood Screenwriter, but they're mostly in TV.

As someone already said, if you're serious, get Final Draft. I've read a lot of pro scripts, all on FD, and I can tell you Celtx looks different to the practiced eye.

Please elaborate on said tools. I'm interested in the comparisons.

Tools was not really the right word...

I used to use Final Draft on my old iMac before it broke down. I am now using Celtx on my new iMac.

Final Draft formats things for you. I've saved time writing in FD.
Celtx has crashed and refused to open files multiple times. I have lost screenplays before.
In the version of Celtx I have, I cannot do dual-dialogue. It is not an option.
CONTINUED problems.

I'm no pro screenwriter. You can hear more reviews and cons in the Celtx App Store comments.

I've heard the free-version is better. I might give it a shot.

EDIT: I just went to their website, and realized I already have an account. Much better.

Last edited:
Chimp - download the old 2.9.1 version.
It doesn't crash + u can dual dialog. ;)

For some reason, every time I edit a post, it makes a copy of the previous post, but with the adjustments. Sorry.
Heh heh. Been there. Done that, once or twice.
You're likely hitting the save/post button twice while the computer is still thinking about sending it.
Try waiting until the little "thinking about it" cursor icon stops and a page with your post shows up. ← IOW: "Beeeee paaaatient!"
Also try opening up each thread in a new tab, posting from that tab, but refreshing the original "forum" tab.

Last edited:
I haven't used either Celtx or Final Draft yet, so I have no opinion about them. I do use MM Screenwriter 6, and it's been good to me so far. I have far from tried all of its features...just the basics. But it seems peachy to me. Just mentioning it as another alternative. Not recommending anyone buy it just because I did. Though it is slightly less expensive than FD. That was part of my decision.

But sure sounds like good advice to try Celtx first, given the price. If you find it inadequate down the road, consider the others.

Back