Cartoon voice overs. How?

I am making a cartoon series. But I wonder how they record the voices by that I mean to ask

When they have two characters speaking to one another do they record one characters lines first then record the others after then mash them in post to make the conversation. Or do they do it standing next to each other?

I am sure you can probably do it either way so long as you make sure there are no line stepping situations for option number one but does anyone have any experience on it?

My equipment I have is a Rhode NTG2 and Maratnz pmd661 recorder

I know, a shotgun mic is not ideal for this type of situation but it's all I have. and I only have one of them.

I am making a cartoon series. But I wonder how they record the voices by that I mean to ask

When they have two characters speaking to one another do they record one characters lines first then record the others after then mash them in post to make the conversation. Or do they do it standing next to each other?

I am sure you can probably do it either way so long as you make sure there are no line stepping situations for option number one but does anyone have any experience on it?

My equipment I have is a Rhode NTG2 and Maratnz pmd661 recorder

I know, a shotgun mic is not ideal for this type of situation but it's all I have. and I only have one of them.

Something I don't think a lot of people realize is that recording dialogue for animated tv series vs animated movies is always different.

For animated cartoon series, they most often will be able to get all of the actors into one room where they can all play off each other at once. And then depending on whether or not a particular actor has more than one role to play, they can either say all of their lines in order, one after another, or record each character they play separately. This is necessary if two of their characters overlap their dialogue.

Now most times, voice actors run on tight schedules, and the same goes for the production companies. So more often then not, voice actors and actors doing voice overs (there is a distinct difference) will record their lines all separately from each other when it involves a feature-length production. This is especially true in the world of anime dubbing, as everyone is basing their performances off of the Japanese dialogue that already exists. So they don't need another actor in the room to play off of. Every Disney movie, for the majority of the characters, were also recorded one actor at a time.

In your case, if your main issue is that you're concerned about how to record all of your characters separately because of the one mic issue, it's best to rank your characters by importance, and then choose which character to record for first.

Once you have all of their lines finished, then you can bring in each of the other actors in what ever order will work best for their schedules, and simply trust that their performances and your direction will fit the scene and won't overlap the dialogue that you have. But when characters are supposed to be arguing or are actively conversing with each other, especially in an intimate or dramatic scene, always play opposing dialogue for each actor if you already have it.

But a lot of the kinks you think you might run into can be fixed during the editing process. The main thing to keep in mind is to simply make sure that you break up your script into individual lines, and try to make sure your actors pause just a bit between each line or between certain lines so that you can have some quiet spots to edit around.

Does that answer your question?

To go along with the nice in-depth response above, I thought a visual reference from one of the most known cartoons would be helpful as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D567M4KBGPU

As you can see Seth does multiple characters of Family Guy, and he records them all at once but still following down the script (however in a recent interview he says he does each character at separate times now, so his method may have changed since 2009). Then midway into this video you can see when the characters have overlapping dialogue that need to play off each other, they record together.

Back