• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Can't use Color with Neoscene?

After reading on this forum about the savior program Neoscene from Cineform I went ahead and bought the program. I just began ingesting the footage I just shot (720/24p & 720/60p AVCHD) and it worked very well. After looking at the shots for a bit I wanted to send some over to color before editing to get a better feel for the look I wanted to end up producing. So I send it over and I get red "X's" in the clips and they do not work. I email Cineform and they tell me that the files will not work in Color since Apple restricted 3rd party files types. He suggested i change file type to Pro Res or DPX if I want to work in Color. So now I have just spent the $100 and I am going to end up making the files I bought the program to stay away from.

So what do I do now? Am I going to lose a lot of quality sending it to either of these files types? Should I skip the neoscene process or what? I could really use some advice on this.

Thanks.

You can't yet use the Cineform codec with the Apple's Color grading package. They designed a proprietary MOV.
DPX is used for DI and VFXs and I guess should do the work. It's a 10 bit RGB format while Cineform allows the user to select 12 bit RGB (this allow to keep the full color range of R3D files).
In any case your original camera footage was registered in 8 bits with 4:2:0 chroma sampling. I don't think your quality should be affected, but do not have experience with your specific workflow.
Probably someone here can advice better.

Back