Canon XM1, any good?

Hello,
whilst my '35mm master peice' is still very much in pre-production, I have written and a short film which I am using as a learning curve.

I intend to shoot this cheaply as it only needs to be up to broadcast quality for DVD. I have free access to a Canon XM1 MiniDV Camcorder. Does anyone know of any flaws or problems with this camera?

I've completed some test footage which seems OK. However I could stretch to hiring a more professional camera if it's worth it?

Thanks for any advice.
Steven

If it's a learning experiance, the XM1 should do the job admirably. I can't say I know much about it, but it seems to be a younger brother of the XL1? For a "cheapie" short, it should be more than capable. I would be inclined to save my money for the more expensive feature!

No prob. In fact, I recently discovered that the XM1 is the same camera as the GL1 over here. The reviews of the GL2 I've seen have been great, so I think the XM1 should be an awesome cam for you.

Best of luck, and all that.

Demosthenes X said:
No prob. In fact, I recently discovered that the XM1 is the same camera as the GL1 over here. The reviews of the GL2 I've seen have been great, so I think the XM1 should be an awesome cam for you.

Best of luck, and all that.

I have the GL 2. I've had no problems with it and shot a feature with it with no gliches. And I haven't even learned a quarter of what it can do.

Chris

Just thought I'd post my progress with the Canon XM1.

After doing some test footage I have been very impressed with such a 'cheap' camera.

The quality is good (especially as I am going to 'rough it up' in FCP).

Pretty good manual controls, I didn't realise how random the automatic ones could be until I experimented between the two. I'll have to put a bit more care into planning my shots, but that's the main thing I wanted to experience with this project. I'll definately be having some fun with depth of field.

16:9 capabilty and I also I like the 'frames' option, a nice little cheat to give a filmic feel (not its real function).

Cheers to everyone for their comments.
Steven

Back