• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Canon XL2

the XM2 is the PAL version of the GL1 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). This is the younger sibling of the XL1. The footage is good from them, no interchageable lenses (probably not a deal breaker), unsure about other features, canon's UK site should have more info.

Eddie Rex said:
Perhaps i should try hiring the DVX100A and the XL2, to see how its like to work with?

...this is how I decided to choose the DVX. Since the cameras are comparable, sometimes it may all boil down to whether or not you like the way the camera handles. The XL-1/2 was akward handling for me. It would be fine if I was ALWAYS using a tripod, but since I mostly used handheld, the DVX was the better choice for me.....

-- spinner :cool:

Eddie Rex said:
Does the DVX-100A need an external mike aswell? Or did you use the camera mike?

...the on camera mic is really pretty inadequate.

Invest in a good camera mountable shotgun mic. I have a AudioTechnica....I forget the numbers, but I wouldn't suggest you use only the on camera mic for anything....

And just to throw another monkey in the wrench, I've been looking at the JVC 100U. It's $5500, which is a bit more than the DVX and the XL2, but it's HD with 24pa and 720p. And the overall features on this thing, including interchangeable lenses, focus assist, etc, are utterly amazing.

It's taken me a while to be sold on HDV, but I've been very impressed with how it holds up in editing and color correction.

Just something more to consider. It could be that it's out of your price range, but if you're considering an XL2, then you should definitely take a look at the JVC.

The nice thing about HDV (which I used to regard as a drawback) is that the data rate is the same as DV, so any decent current system should be able to handle it. My brother uses a dual 2.0 G5 and it's smooth as butter, whereas DVC Pro HD, like the HVX, would be pushing it.

Ok, i have found a UK dealer selling a second hand Canon XL1 for £1299, with 6 months warranty and accessories. The camcorder is three years old.

Do you think i am buying a bargin? Or is three years for a Canon XL1 a bit excessive?
The dealer has told me that the camcorder is currently away for servicing and back in ten days.

What do you all think?

is it an XL1 or an XL1s? If just an XL1, I would expect it to be slightly cheaper...especially with 2 bigger brothers (XL1s & XL2) currently on the market in the Standard Def arena. ~$2600 right? The XL1s is on ebay for just under and over £1000 (700 - 1400). XL1 £800.

XL1.

Previously i have never bought off ebay, however if i did buy a camcorder off ebay and it turns out to be nakered is there any security on this?

Couple of controls, bars and tone can be added to tape, better low light behaviour (see, I can spell britishly). Don't remember what else.

the XM2 is the PAL version of the GL2. This is a nice compact 3 chipper without the interchangeable lens. I've seen really nice pictures made with this camera. Make sure, if buying through ebay, to check not just the sellers' rating, but the number of reviews they've recieved. Both should be high for a trust to be implied. I've had good luck so far in getting stuff through ebay, even when the seller was a new one in one instance (my sound board - tascam us428 - the voice over at the beginning of curtain call was captured with this and a nice shure vocal mic).

I think stepping from what you're using now to this camera will be a huge step up for you should you choose to get it. This shoots progressive (frame mode) PAL, so you'll get full frames (non-interlaced) at 25 fps. This should be quite filmic!

so you can find some GL1 footage or XM1 footage out there...I saw some a while back about brothers who are fishermen...I'll have to see if I can find it again, that was shot with a GL1 and looks like it was shot with a huge film camera, they did such a good job with it.

After bidding on ebay and being outbidded in the last minute nearly everytime i still have no camcorder to show for it! Also there are so many scams on ebay trying to get me to pay via western union some people must think i am totally stupid. Therefore i have gone back to the dealers and found a Sony VX1000 second hand and selling for £550 ($1100) with a three month warranty.

Doers anyone have any experience using a Sony VX1000?

Eddie Rex said:
After bidding on ebay and being outbidded in the last minute nearly everytime i still have no camcorder to show for it! Also there are so many scams on ebay trying to get me to pay via western union some people must think i am totally stupid. Therefore i have gone back to the dealers and found a Sony VX1000 second hand and selling for £550 ($1100) with a three month warranty.

Doers anyone have any experience using a Sony VX1000?

...tell me again, how much were you planning to spend on this camera? At one point you were considering the DVX and Cannon XL. Have you decided against purchasing new? When I bought my camera, I got a new one because I decided that it was an investment and shelled out the money for it.

Why did you decide on the sony?

Back