• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Canon XL1, XL1s, and XL2 Adapters

Okay, I here there is this Letus35 Mini adapter for the small cameras including the Canon XL1. There is also this Canon EF Adapter for XL1 and XL2 (which I believe would also work for the XL1s). Would both of these adapters work for the Canon XL1s and would they both pretty much work the same way? Also, would it be worth having one to place lenses on the camera? Would the image look better when filming if you put together the right lenses? I learned about the adapters through this article (http://www.moviemaker.com/directing/article/the_chinese_shoes_3231/). If you could give me useful information on these adapters and how they work and stuff that would be awesome! Thank you!

Both cameras have the same "XL" mount on the body of the camera... so should be interchangeable... the EF adapter will allow you different glass (lenses), not 35mm DoF. So you can get a much different look by using EF mount lenses on the body of the camera, which really does change the look of the footage (I made a Nikon adapter for mine - but the electronics don't go, nor do the physical adjustments for the iris, so I have to run the iris on my primes wide open and set the shutter SUPER fast to get exposure)... but the DoF is the same, whereas the L35 will capture the light on a 35mm frame, then retransmit to the chip through another lens to alter the DoF for you.

So Yes, both would work, and they are totally different beasts from one another.

Back