Canon xl 2 ?

Hey filmmakers,

So I gathered up enough money to buy myself a Canon XL 2 and before I buy it online, and for those with actual experience, I was just wondering if I could read your opinion. Would mean a lot!

:) thanks

And to think they made movies w/ 16mm film w/o any monitors ?? barbaric indeed !

the 50mm 1.8 will give you razor thin DOF at 1.8 .. 1 foot difference from sharp focus and blurry

You want some DOF, go for at least f11.. and you gonna need light for that

Last edited:
My god the shipping prices are out of line on this site!! Check this out:

ProVista Airlift Tripod with Pneumatic Centerpost (International express mail = 200 dollars) My god...That costs me over 400 bucks just for the friggin stand.

Have you looked at amazon.com for pricing in your area?

You want some DOF, go for at least f11.. and you gonna need light for that

When you say DOF, I assume you mean "wide" or "deep" depth of field. Every camera, every lens, every shot you get has depth of field -- it is only a question of how wide or shallow. f8 will be quite wide.

Why do you and Gonzo keep mentioning that you need light? It is as if you are arguing that it requires more light to shoot with DSLR than with a prosumer camcorder, when the exact opposite is true. Anything you can do with a prosumer camcorder you can do with DSLR, in less light. The amount of light required to shoot any scene with a prosumer camcorder is more than enough to shoot with DSLR. MORE than enough.

But whats wrong with using the lens i mentioned for WIDE? I mean its 18mm aswell :) I dont understand the difference. f-stop? How is the f-stop making the difference, dont quite understand hehe

Nothing wrong with that. A good prime wide lens can be quite expensive. If money is an issue, the kit lens will do just dandy, when you need wide shots.

"f-stop" is another word for "aperture". It is a measurement of how wide the hole is in the lens that lets light in. The higher the f-stop number, the smaller the hole, and thus, the less amount of light let in. This is very important to understand, so that you have greater control of your image.

Back