Canon xl 2 ?

Hey filmmakers,

So I gathered up enough money to buy myself a Canon XL 2 and before I buy it online, and for those with actual experience, I was just wondering if I could read your opinion. Would mean a lot!

:) thanks

I hope you're getting it super cheap. MiniDV is basically an obsolete technology. Unless you're getting this camera for a few hundred dollars, it is a huge waste of money. Not a good investment.

I hope you're getting it super cheap. MiniDV is basically an obsolete technology. Unless you're getting this camera for a few hundred dollars, it is a huge waste of money. Not a good investment.

Yeah its is kinda old, but it offers many other good options. But seriously, can you elaborate on that (have you shot with it)?

I don't mean to jump CF here, but for a quick answer: it's standard definition.

Yeah, Im aware of that. But does definition REALLY matter so much? I mean, dont get me wrong, I would love to have a Canon 5d Mark II (who wouldnt), but is it really a must? I know a few people who made good features with it, so im asking. How important is HD?

And what would you recommend, I have 1400 $ to spend on a camera! And im ordering it via ebay, though im from Slovenia so I need someone who ships worldwide.

Thanks in advance

Yeah its is kinda old, but it offers many other good options. But seriously, can you elaborate on that (have you shot with it)?

No, I've never shot with it. I learned how to shoot video on the Canon GL1, which is the lower-priced less-fancy sibling of the XL-series. This camera is very good, but considering what else is out there, why in the world would you want it, unless you're getting a REALLY good deal?

The question isn't why shouldn't you get this camera. The question is why should you? You mention that it has "many good options". Name them.

I mean no disrespect, but I have to assume that your research is either insufficient or out-dated. Unless there's something you're not telling me, I see no reason to buy this camera.

Are you a first-time filmmaker? If so, you shouldn't spend so much. Spend a couple hundred bucks on a cheap used miniDV camcorder. Make a bunch of shorts. By the time you've honed your skills and are ready to step up to a better camera, the technology will have completely changed.

Yeah, Im aware of that. But does definition REALLY matter so much? I mean, dont get me wrong, I would love to have a Canon 5d Mark II (who wouldnt), but is it really a must? I know a few people who made good features with it, so im asking. How important is HD?

And what would you recommend, I have 1400 $ to spend on a camera! And im ordering it via ebay, though im from Slovenia so I need someone who ships worldwide.

Thanks in advance

Well, look at something like the 550D. HD is the industry standard and the resale value of the XL2 is horrible.

No, I've never shot with it. I learned how to shoot video on the Canon GL1, which is the lower-priced less-fancy sibling of the XL-series. This camera is very good, but considering what else is out there, why in the world would you want it, unless you're getting a REALLY good deal?

The question isn't why shouldn't you get this camera. The question is why should you? You mention that it has "many good options". Name them.

I mean no disrespect, but I have to assume that your research is either insufficient or out-dated. Unless there's something you're not telling me, I see no reason to buy this camera.

If you are someone who likes bells and whistles, Canon has made this camera jingle. Pretty much all the necessary camera functions can be accessed directly on the camera. It shoots 60i, 30p, and 24p frame rates and can be switched easily with a knob on the side of the camera. Next to that switch is another switch for changing between 16x9 or 4:3 shooting modes.

By the way, it may be SD but, nonetheless, Im sure with the proper adjustments, it can offer that film look to it. Aside to that, Ive seen some great shorts and footage shots with it.

Im still unsure though. Keep in mind that I have 1400$ to spend on.

Are you a first-time filmmaker? If so, you shouldn't spend so much. Spend a couple hundred bucks on a cheap used miniDV camcorder. Make a bunch of shorts. By the time you've honed your skills and are ready to step up to a better camera, the technology will have completely changed.

Well, I do have some experience. I already own a small handycam and Im ready to step up to the plate. Thats why Im considerign buying a more advanced piece of technology :)

Any good recommendations? Besides the XL 2? I can spend 1400$

Xl2 is a very good camera, and very usable to make shorts or even a feature. I just wouldn't pay more than $500 for one at this stage of the game. Most sellers have them WAY overpriced.

"Dude, I don't give a shit how much you paid for that in 2004, in 2011, it's one step above a doorstop. I paid $3000 for my computer in 2001 as well, that doesn't stop it from being worth about $15 today"

Xl2 is a very good camera, and very usable to make shorts or even a feature. I just wouldn't pay more than $500 for one at this stage of the game. Most sellers have them WAY overpriced.

"Dude, I don't give a shit how much you paid for that in 2004, in 2011, it's one step above a doorstop. I paid $3000 for my computer in 2001 as well, that doesn't stop it from being worth about $15 today"

I dont which which sentence is of your liking from the two above but, do you have any good recommendations? What do you think of Canon 7D? Does it have everything manual which is what I need (iso, shutter, iris, wb etc.)?

I dont which which sentence is of your liking from the two above but, do you have any good recommendations? What do you think of Canon 7D? Does it have everything manual which is what I need (iso, shutter, iris, wb etc.)?

I was saying the XL2 is still a good usable camera, it's just so outdated the fair market value for it should be in the sub $1000 range. Anybody asking more for one is crazy.

7D is a good camera, you're going to have to hang another $1500 to $2000 worth of gear off of it to make it really usable for filmmmaking though.

$1,400 bucks. I would pre-order the Canon T3i with the lens kit 18mm - 55mm and use the rest of your money for everything else to go with it. Memory card, 50mm 1.8 lens, UV glass filter for protection, lens hood, a good camera bag, and an external mic perhaps. I would not get any camera with miniDV. I got one last year to use and had ideas on what I was going to use it for, but I felt it just held me back from doing and getting the footage I really wanted. Sure it had some manual controls and night vision, but the standard def and the huge hassle it is to transfer it over to my computer was just a pain in the but. Here is some clips of videos taken with the T2i, which is the same quality as the T3i but the T3i has more features. Oh and the T3i with the lens kit is only $899 on amazon.com. I would also Highly recommend getting a squaretrade warranty of 2 or 3 years with accident protection, which runs an additional $140 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqn6mWuqwE0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN1m8SlUpA0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6eTZwPMKsU

Hope this helps.

BUT the caveat to the T2i (or 7D, or 5DMK2) as noted above is...

The super shallow DOF is really nice, but it also makes absolutely necessary a follow focus and an external monitor, so add $1000 minimum to that price. It doesn't have any internal ND filters, so you're going to have to either buy screw on ones or invest in a Matte box so add another $150 to $1000 on top of that.

I helped some people shoot on a 5DMK2 this past weekend and not having a follow focus and an external monitor pretty much made it a trip to hell as it constantly slowed down production.

I can tell you that the McCormick Brothers video does not use any of that you just stated. They do use color correction in Sony Vegas 9 pro though. I think it would depend on what kind of shots you are looking for and practice with the lens. Here is a behind the scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P6lQQz63eg

Last edited:
Im with everyone else. Forget the XL2. You should go with the T2i. You have $1400.

EOS Rebel T2i Digital SLR Kit w/ EF-S/18-55 IS --- 769.00
ProVista Airlift Tripod with Pneumatic Centerpost --- 219.95
Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens --- 119.00
shipping --- 60.00
Total --- 1167.95​

***Prices taken from bhphoto.com***​

You would still have 232.05 to spend on audio or something else. You can get way more if you go with a T2i.

7D is a good camera, you're going to have to hang another $1500 to $2000 worth of gear off of it to make it really usable for filmmmaking though.

Not true. Everything you can do with the XL2, you can do with the 7D, but better. Except for recording audio. I wouldn't use a DSLR to record audio.

But video-wise, a DSLR straight out of the box, with a kit lens, if FAR superior to any miniDV camera.

The 7D is for photographers, though. Huge waste of money for filmmakers. Filmmaking-wise, the T2i (or soon-to-be-released T3i is basically an identical camera).

zim, I have a blog on the positives and negatives of shooting video on DSLR. It was peer-reviewed for accuracy. Check it out. In my opinion, if you're broke, the decision is a no-brainer. DSLR is for broke-folk. It's for rich-folk too, cuz you can spend a bunch of money on it. But if your means are limited, I don't think you can get better results with anything else, in this low price-range.

Just giving my opinion after spending the entire weekend with some people trying to shoot a feature on a
5DMK2.

You are dealing with a tiny screen you can't move (except on the 60D). It makes it very difficult to shoot with the camera in odd positions (shoved in a corner, in the floorboard of a car, etc...) where the screen isn't visible. The tiny fixed screen also makes it very diffcult for the director and the DP to both see what's in frame at the same time, expecially since the eye piece becomes unusable.

Shallow DOF is great, BUT unless you light the bejeesus out of stuff and stop the camera WAY down the DOF tends to be so razor thin that it's virtually impossible to shoot masters. People a foot from each other may not both be in focus, and any movement of the talent around in the shot requires almost constant focus pulls. Trying to do this without a follow focus is next to impossible.

You are dealing with the infamous 4 stops of usable exposure. A sunlit window in the room can result in having to throw 2000W of light at the talent so you can stop down far enough to prevent the window from being totally blown out.

This stuff can all be overcome, by working slower, but on a movie set time = money like nowhere on earth.

Don't get me wrong, I am buying one (5DMK2) this weekend, but I have seen first hand that much of what I had read is true. If you think you are gonna take a DSLR out of the box and use it a camera to shoot serious long format projects without a SERIOUS additional gear investment is self delusion.

You are dealing with a tiny screen you can't move (except on the 60D). It makes it very difficult to shoot with the camera in odd positions (shoved in a corner, in the floorboard of a car, etc...) where the screen isn't visible.

Shallow DOF is great, BUT unless you light the bejeesus out of stuff and stop the camera WAY down the DOF tends to be so razor thin that it's virtually impossible to shoot masters. People a foot from each other may not both be in focus, and any movement of the talent around in the shot requires almost constant focus pulls.

You are dealing with the infamous 4 stops of usable exposure. A sunlit window in the room can result in having to throw 2000W of light at the talent so you can stop down far enough to prevent the window from being totally blown out.

ALL cams have some issues for us to deal with.. ALL cams

Gonzo hit it ! I have the T2i and all of the above are the biggest hardships of a DSLR, learn to deal w/ them..in other words.. master your tool ! :yes:

Back