Canon XH-A1 or XL-H1A???

I'm looking to buy either the Canon XH-A1 or the XL-H1A. I think the only difference between the two is the XL has the interchangeable Lens system and its about 2,000 more than the XH.

Im looking to film good quality films, not youtube quality. and i dont plan on using this for birthdays or weddings. I want to know how important it is now to have an interchangeable lens system. If i go with the XH, how easy/cheap is it to use an adapter for other size lenses?

Please help, i'm going nuts trying to decide which one to buy. Thanks!

Thanks for all the advice. I do like the 7D footage but not sure if thats the camera for me. and the Scarlet seems like it's going to be more expensive then they are telling people. and ive heard rumors that its going to be impossible to edit without some kind of super computer. maybe im wrong but thats just what ive heard.

Sennheiser MKH 60 installment for Canon XH-A1, problem

Hi,

I'm trying to get my new Sennheiser MKH 60 short shotgun mic. to work on my Canon XH-A1, but am having a lot of trouble. Both manuals, for the camera & mic., aren't helpful either. Thanks for any help you can give. This was a big purchase & I'm getting no audio. -RC, New Orleans :P

Hi,

I'm trying to get my new Sennheiser MKH 60 short shotgun mic. to work on my Canon XH-A1, but am having a lot of trouble. Both manuals, for the camera & mic., aren't helpful either. Thanks for any help you can give. This was a big purchase & I'm getting no audio. -RC, New Orleans :P

Hi, I have that same setup, more or less (an older version Senny). Some of this may already be obvious to you, so don't be insulted.

First, you have to activate the XLR inputs on the camera. The XH-A1 does not allow both the built-in microphone and the XLR jacks to be active at the same time. If you are hearing audio through the built-in mic then you need to go into the menu, select audio options (or something like that) and activate the XLR connectors.

If you've already done that and are not hearing anything, make sure the Sennheiser is switched on (obvious, I know, but you'd be surprised).

Next, make sure the Sennheiser has power to operate it. The 66 is, I believe, a condenser mic so it will either need an internal battery or phantom power. I use phantom with mine. The phantom power switches are on the right side of the XLR connectors on the camera -- you can't see them unless you're looking toward the camera from in front of the lens. MAKE SURE THERE IS NO BATTERY IN THE MICROPHONE BEFORE YOU SWITCH PHANTOM ON! If there is a battery in the microphone, remove it then try using phantom.

When you're sure you've got power to the mic, check the switches above the XLR jacks and make sure they are set to MIC LEVEL, with ATTENUATION OFF. Also make sure the mic is plugged into the upper XLR jack (it will work with either, of course, but will work in the top one regardless of the position of the stereo/mono switch).

Check that your audio input level adjustment dials (located just to the left of the camera battery compartment) are turned up, or that the switch is set to ALC. Don't be fooled; the XH-A1 dials are designed a little oddly. If you're looking at them from the side, the arrow indicators move DOWN as volume increases, and vice versa. I understand why they did this, but it can be a little counter-intuitive.

If none of the above does the trick, you may have something like a bad cable - try swapping it out. Also, I believe there needs to be a tape in the camera in order for audio to function, though I'm not 100% certain of that.

Hope one or more of the above helps.

Thanks, 2001 Productions!

Thanks, 2001 Productions!

All of your tips were extremely helpful. I wasn't aware of the phantom power switch & wouldn't have found it, had you not explained where it was. The mic. is working perfectly & in harmony with the camera.

I'm very fond of the Great Pacific Northwest. I visit there often (-was there in July). My girlfriend lives in Seattle & a very good friend lives in Portland.

Have a great morning & many thanks! :clap:

RC- New Orleans

You're welcome, RC.

One little note of caution -- you may already know this: Make sure you switch off phantom power on the camera each time you finish shooting. It doesn't hurt the camera to leave it on, but it's good to get into that habit because, one of these days, you're going to plug something else into the XLR jack - like a mixer board, maybe - and not realize phantom power is on. Zap! -- a split second later you've fried the output circuit on the board.

Never happened to me (knock wood) but I know others who've done it. The owner of the mixer was not amused. :eek:

Back