CANON XA10: The only camera I Need...?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749467-REG/Canon_4922B002_XA10_HD_Professional_Camcorder.html

I'm leaning toward buying this...Its just so small and compact despite its power, so I'm hesitant because I'm new to film making, and every camera Ive seen on various sets are....bigger.

Like the Panasonic DVX 100:

http://www.amazon.com/PANASONIC-AG-DVX100-Professional-MiniDV-Camcorder/dp/B000075AEV

I want real good video...and real nice features...seems like the XA10 has everything I will need to get my film career started.

Advice?

Well, you need to decide whether you want digital cards or minidvltape. Both have pros and cons. I personally prefer cards because it takes a lot of the hassle of downloading the film to the computer and shortens the time considerably.
Also, both the panasonic and canon are nice cameras but won't nearly compare to a professional camera especially w/o having interchangable lenses. Interchangable lenses are a really big deal especially if you want great "professional" picture quality. I really recommend that you consider to looking into DSLR cameras unless you absolutely must have a video camera. There are a lot of options on DSLR that most video cameras can't match and the only real downside to DSLR is no XLR hookups. Recording sound externally and syncing in post is not difficult though.
I would recommend looking at something like a Canon 7D or 5D or the GH2. I hope this helps you out.

Last edited:
Well, you need to decide whether you want digital cards or minidvltape. Both have pros and cons. I personally prefer cards because it takes a lot of the hassle of downloading the film to the computer and shortens the time considerably.
Also, both the panasonic and canon are nice cameras but won't nearly compare to a professional camera especially w/o having interchangable lenses. Interchangable lenses are a really big deal especially if you want great "professional" picture quality. I really recommend that you consider to looking into DSLR cameras unless you absolutely must have a video camera. There are a lot of options on DSLR that most video cameras can't match and the only real downside to DSLR is no XLR hookups. Recording sound externally and syncing in post is not difficult though.
I would recommend looking at something like a Canon 7D or 5D or the GH2. I hope this helps you out.

Well I do have a CANON T3i, and it is awesome...but i figured I needed something especially for video, you know.

Should I just settle with the T3i and forget a vide camera?

Instead of spending money on a new camera, I would invest in some good sound equipment and lenses since you already have a T3I. Good luck to you. I would also recommend downloading magic lantern for you camera once you get more comfortable. Good luck.

Instead of spending money on a new camera, I would invest in some good sound equipment and lenses since you already have a T3I. Good luck to you. I would also recommend downloading magic lantern for you camera once you get more comfortable. Good luck.

Sound equipment is definitely on my list, what do you think of this kit:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/551607-REG/Audio_Technica_AT_875_Shotgun_Microphone.html

Hmm...So, you really think i could get away with using just my T3i for my films? How would more lenses help?

Different lenses for different shots. Micro, macro - close ups/ mid / wides, etc. Lenses make a HUGE difference when comparing high end vs low end.

I'm not a HDSLR fan but you could just keep your T3i and invest in more equipment (stabilizers, audio, lights, etc). That's probably the best route for a budding filmmaker.

DSLRs are great no doubt, but they also lack certain features that a film maker should have at his or her disposal. My mind goes to auto zoom features, and motion tracking. Also, stability for filming sports, on board mic....

Last edited:
Auto zoom and motion tracking are great but are EXTREMELY loud when you filming, and editing layers of sound is much more difficult than editing film if you don't have much experience. Stability isn't difficult with DSLR as long as you have a decent shoulder rig or at least a stabilizer like a grip.
On board directional mics can be bought and placed in the hot shoe. Rode sells a few for DSLRs. I wouldn't recommend on on board mics unless you filming close ups because the mics won't pick up sound as well as a overhead boom for a lot of shots, but yes they do have on board mics for DSLRs as well.

Sound equipment is definitely on my list, what do you think of this kit:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/551607-REG/Audio_Technica_AT_875_Shotgun_Microphone.html

Hmm...So, you really think i could get away with using just my T3i for my films? How would more lenses help?

I would pm Alcove Audio about sound equipment. He definitely knows a lot about sound equipment. I don't know enough to give you a good answer. He would be able to provide you with basic list of absolute necessities for sound and lead you on the right path to get professional sound.

I'm a proud owner of a Canon XA10. I love this device. Just note that it records at 24Mpbs which is about half of what is considered broadcast quality. Now for what I do it's magical. If you must have broadcast quality look at getting a Canon X101 instead.

I posted a tracking test of the Canon XA10 to my youtube account a while ago, feel free to check that out:

http://youtu.be/rDhjuTvrdJc

Back