Canon T2i settings

So I know that this question is subjective and also based on the style of movie you are looking to make, but what are the basic setting for the Canon T2i to get as close to the "film" look as possible?

(If there is a thread already out there about this, please direct me to it. I looked and couldn't find anything.)

-Shoot at 24p
-Shutter at about 1/50
-Turn down contrast, saturation, sharpness so it is a flat picture. You can get the look you want --in post production.
- Correctly white balance the image (don't use auto)
- get a fast lens to get that sexy bokeh

And other factors that help make something feel "filmic" include:

- Having a good story/script
- properly lighting the scene (BIG)
- having good sound (BIG)
- good composition of shots

-Shoot at 24p
-Shutter at about 1/50
-Turn down contrast, saturation, sharpness so it is a flat picture. You can get the look you want --in post production.
- Correctly white balance the image (don't use auto)
- get a fast lens to get that sexy bokeh

And other factors that help make something feel "filmic" include:

- Having a good story/script
- properly lighting the scene (BIG)
- having good sound (BIG)
- good composition of shots

Thanks for the reply.

When you say turn down the con. sat. shp. is there a specific amount to turn down? Or just work it within the lighting to get the look you want on a monitor?

A fast lens? Please elaborate.

Start with Neutral style. Sharpness all the way down, Contrast all the way down, Saturation down two notches or to taste.
A fast lens means a smaller number for the fstop. The kit lens is f3.5-5.4 A fast lens would be like f2.8

TBH, I would not worry about any sharpness, and 'flat' settings until you get a handle on how your camera works. Shooting using a Standard or Neutral Picture Profile can get you results that are just as good without having to grade it later, and worry about all the in-camera settings.

Unless the Canon DLSR look is what someone is going for, turn down the contrast all the way. It goes a long way to making video look more filmic, even without a grade. If you don't want to grade, dial the saturation the way you like it, but turn down that contrast.
The reason, film really isn't that contrasty, it just appears that way.

Try downloading Technicolor Cinestyle. It's a preset picture style for the Canon DSLR's that will give your movie a very flat, low contrast look, which also gives you a ton of freedom to color grade and give you that film look we're all looking for. Besides that, the usual stuff like 24p, 1/50 shutter speed, etc. And having great sound, lighting, and good acting especially will all go a long way to making your movie look better.

You got two schools of thought.

Shooting flat and grading in post.

Shooting as close as possible to the final look and fine tuning in post.

Know your camera and choose your camp.

Other tips:

Do take the 1/50 as a rule of thumb. I lived by it, but if you have action you might need to go faster. There will be a good deal of motion blur.

To get a decent depth of field outdoors on a sunny day, open you F stop all the way, and use ND filters to compensate for the added light.

Don't feel like you need a huge shoulder rig, get a nice handle, and work on stable hands.

btw, I'm a grade in post guy.. I like the flexibility.

Keep the 180 shutter speed in rule in mind but also understand why you would go faster...having the shutter speed at 1/50 isnt a concrete rule....

before you break rules, make sure you understand why it is that you are breaking it...

Ok... so now I understand a lot more. U guys rock. I've got my user settings to where I want them and going to install cinestyle and cinema PP.

Now I watched this here... http://philipbloom.net/2011/09/18/pictureprofiles/ about Cinestyle vs. Cinema and Neutral...

Here's my question...

Is there a way to set up the Canon T2i to capture 2 profiles at the same time... say User Setting 1 and Cinema or Cinema and Cinestyle?

I know this would be a space hog, but the flexibility for editing would be worth it in my mind.

Ok... so now I understand a lot more. U guys rock. I've got my user settings to where I want them and going to install cinestyle and cinema PP.

Now I watched this here... http://philipbloom.net/2011/09/18/pictureprofiles/ about Cinestyle vs. Cinema and Neutral...

Here's my question...

Is there a way to set up the Canon T2i to capture 2 profiles at the same time... say User Setting 1 and Cinema or Cinema and Cinestyle?

I know this would be a space hog, but the flexibility for editing would be worth it in my mind.

Negative

Back