Canon GL1?

Considering that I'm not a professional yet and I don't have much of a budget and my little Canon ZR90 is now really annoying and useless to me, would it be a good idea that I get a Canon GL1 from somebody I know for $650 as my next, and relatively cheap, step?

I've been looking at so many cameras these days and the ones I want are all so expensive :grumpy: (noted that I don't buy things off the internet: only deal in person)

A Canon GL-1 is a decent camera, although I'm not sure I'd pay $650 for it, unless it was barely used. You'll probably have to purchase new batteries and if the camera has a lot of hours on it, it may need servicing soon. You have no warranty, so you could be out some money if you can't afford repairs.

It could be a good deal, but I'd compare it against the wide range of new camcorders that are available for a similar price. Or better yet, save your money and watch for a deal on an even better camera. If, however, the GL-1 is like new, it may be a great learning camera. I used one once, on a job. My first complaint was that the controls were difficult to locate, but it did the job well enough.

Doug

They made several improvements to the GL-2, based on problems and complaints from the GL-1. I believe the GL-2 is a bit easier to use and fixes some glitches in the GL-1, but I have only read about it. My advice is roughly the same, make sure it's in pristine condition, or don't pay more than a few hundred bucks for it. You should always assume you'll be purchasing one or two new batteries for a used camcorder, unless you're shooting in a studio where you don't need battery power.

At my high school we use these for our T.V. Brodcasting class.
from my time using them i like it, but then again its the best camera i've ever used, cuz it's the most expensive camera i've ever used .lol.
it has both 4:3 and widescreen formats, to that's what i like cuz for school brodcast we have to got in standard, but when i would want *i've not tried it, but would like to* to make my own film using it, i could put it in widesceen.

on the GL1, I would keep it in 4x3 and crop it in your editor. You're going to lose resolution either way with that camera. This way, you'll be able to make slight adjustments to your framing once you pull it in the editor (with the viewfinder not showing you your overscan area, it's easy to let lights and boom mikes into the frame).

Back