Canon 7D

I'm thinking of buying the Canon 7D to do my primary video recording. I'll still have my Canon HG10 available incase I need it. Any advice for a new SLR-film user? I'll be using a 50mm f1.8 lens and probably the EF-S 17-85mm as well.

Share any experience you have with general SLR filming! I'm also worried about the "jell-o effect" and the camera "skipping lines" to create the HD image. At least that's what I read.

I'm going to record audio with an external microphone.

what microphone are you thinking of using. please do tell me. also for spending so much on a 7D maybe a better lens would make your video reach the highest quality. i have shot with the 500D and didnt really notice much jello effect. It would also be a good idea to look up if it automatically focuses or the what the whole focus scenario is, ad it can annoy some users when they are trying to shoot something very specific.

what microphone are you thinking of using. please do tell me. also for spending so much on a 7D maybe a better lens would make your video reach the highest quality. i have shot with the 500D and didnt really notice much jello effect. It would also be a good idea to look up if it automatically focuses or the what the whole focus scenario is, ad it can annoy some users when they are trying to shoot something very specific.

Currently I'm using a microphone from Azden, but I'm also considering changing to a Rode VideoMic. I've seen video taken with the 50mm f1.8 and it looks quite good. The EF-S 17-85mm is an amazing lens, but I'm not sure how it'll turn out on video.

As for manual focus, I do like to have control over the focus. I believe there's no autofocus feature on the 7D, but I guess if it did, it'll add on unwanted noise. I think manual focus generally looks more cinematic.

The rode video mic will pick up the sound of you changing focus or zooming (if you ever buy a zoom lens). I did a test in store. You can still get away with it, but buy an audio extension cord and try to move it a bit farther away from the camera.

The jello-effect (not sure about the canons) is visible when you start to pan quickly (if you move up and down its a much lesser effect). To avoid that effect pan slowly and avoid jerky movements, also a tripod with a good video head is invaluable.

Back