• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Canon 7D Slow Motion

I've asked this question before in another forum and no one could answer my question... let's see how you guys fare! ;-)

I have a Canon 7D, and on occassion i have shot footage at 50fps.

To edit, i use Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate. When i drag and drop the 50fps footage to the timeline, it automatically adjusts it so it's played back at 24fps with no change in speed. This is ok if i don't want the footage to look like it's slow... but on occasion i do want it to look slow. Does anyone know how to do this in either Studio 14, or an alternative piece of freeware?
Please don't suggest FCP, Vegas, Premiere or After Effects, etc... i haven't got the cash for these tools just yet, as i'm spending all my money on Lenses! :-)

The floor is yours. :-)

Well, in all the programs you don't want us to mention it's a breeze. Not sure about pinnacle, I haven't used a version of it in almost 10 years, but you "interpret" the video at 24fps, or whatever frame rate your timeline is.

If you can't do that with your software, well
buy Premiere, After Effects, Avid or FCP7.
that's a bit like asking how to make a sandwich but "I can't use bread, saving all my money for meats." sometimes there's no magic button, sorry.

I've done slo mo by bringing 7D 60fps footage into Vegas before. I just googled a tutorial for the specific software I was on. In Vegas it was pretty easy, not sure about your software. CS 5.5 on my to get list, but just can't afford it at the moment.

Well, in all the programs you don't want us to mention it's a breeze. Not sure about pinnacle, I haven't used a version of it in almost 10 years, but you "interpret" the video at 24fps, or whatever frame rate your timeline is.

If you can't do that with your software, well
buy Premiere, After Effects, Avid or FCP7.
that's a bit like asking how to make a sandwich but "I can't use bread, saving all my money for meats." sometimes there's no magic button, sorry.
LOL... yeah i kinda figured that was going to be the answer... (and i love your analogy!) but i was just hoping that someone might know an alternative method.

If there ends up being no light at the end of the tunnel... i may have to bite the bullet and get Premiere or something.

I've done slo mo by bringing 7D 60fps footage into Vegas before. I just googled a tutorial for the specific software I was on. In Vegas it was pretty easy, not sure about your software. CS 5.5 on my to get list, but just can't afford it at the moment.
I've googled my issue and no answer was to be found. :-(

You'd think that seeing as Avid owns Pinnacle, that they might share some functions?

In most any NLE, there should be an option to change the speed of a clip. I know this is possible in Premiere, Vegas, and Edius, at least. (And After Effects, which isn't really an NLE.)

You may have to enter a speed factor of ".40"... or use 40%... etc. The goal is to make the 60p footage play 250% slower (that is, on a 24p timeline).
Depending on the footage (ie. if there's not a lot of fast motion), you can make it even slower.

To get the REALLY slow/over-cranked footage, you would need Twixtor or a similar frame interpolation plugin.

Back