• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Canon 600D: Rolling Shutter reduced wih 3x Zoom?

Hi Guys,
I'm interested in the new Canon 600D/T3i Camera. It offers a new 3x Zoom feature which supposedly fixes some of the Moiré and Antialiasing issues the DLSRs suffor from because of the line skipping that's happening when the Frame is downresed from the 21MP to 1920x1080. The 3x Zoom only uses a small part in the middle of the sensor and reads out 1920x1080 Pixels 1:1 without any line skipping.
Here#s a video where the results of this are visible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbXPaJlsM2Y#t=35s

Now, I was wondering if this 3X Zoom would actually help with Rolling Shutter as well. My guess would be yes, because the area that has to be read is much smaller and thus can be read faster. This will result in the bottom line being read very shortly after the top line and thus vertical lines will not be as distorted.

Does anyone already have a 600D and could test the Rolling Shutter with 3X zoom vs without it? I'd really appreciate it!

No, it wouldn't because it's not really a 3x zoom but rather a 3x crop. The Camera has a 12MP Sensor, but for video you only need 2MP, so this 3x-Crop only reads out the middle portion of the chip 1:1 with 1920x1080.
The Quality would actualy improve, because you get rid of Moiré and Antaliasing.

No, it wouldn't because it's not really a 3x zoom but rather a 3x crop. The Camera has a 12MP Sensor, but for video you only need 2MP, so this 3x-Crop only reads out the middle portion of the chip 1:1 with 1920x1080.
The Quality would actualy improve, because you get rid of Moiré and Antaliasing.

This is potentially great news then...

I was in the market for a 550D/t2i as well....

I wonder how the overheating issues are with the t3i?

Back