Canon 50mm 2.5 Macro

My friend is offering me his Canon 50mm 2.5 Macro for 30 bucks.

The only problem is that the lens was dropped and the aperture doesn't stop down anymore. It's permanently stuck at f2.5. Everything else is fine, even the auto focus.

If I'm honest I mostly shoot with my lenses wide open anyways. Sometimes when the light is too strong I stop down, but this isn't possible with this lens, so I'd have to increase the shutterspeed.

Do you think it's worth the 30 bucks???

I already have a 50mm 1.8 so I'd probably only use this for macro. I read something about life sized magnification and found out that this lens doesn't have that. Can anyone explain what that means to me?

Last edited:
Fair enough, ill probably leave it then.

Id still like to get a macro lens though as my only one is the old sigma 70 300 apo macro lens which can only do macro at 300mm. I was thinking of killing 2 birds with one stone and get a sigma 28mm 1.8 macro, i could sell my canon 28mm 2.8 to help me fund it and id have a 28mm lens and a macro lens at the same time. Any one know if this is a decent lens?

Another option is the canon 50mm 2.5(a working one)

All the other macro lenses are too expensive and macro filters decrease inage quality dont they?

Any suggestions for me? Keep in mind Im on a very small budget

Back