Cannes 08 - Yes it's me Clive

Hi guys, I'm here at Cannes 08 without my logon details, so I've thrown up a temp alternative account so I can just drop the highlights (sorry indie... my bad).

Firstly, Cannes is awash with independent producers who've made a short and come here looking for first feature finance. From what I'm seeing the vast majority are wasting their time... that's just not how business gets done here.

Basically, the worst thing you can do here is make your short and then hire a booth in the film market. Nobody, and I mean nobody is going to come looking for you.

Most of the business seems to happen behind the Palais des Festival, in the international village.

If anyone is planing this trip, I've got three pieces of advice:

1) Carry at least 200 business cards, because people exchange business cards with everyone they meet. EVERYONE!
2) Don't try to pretend that you're something you're not, don't name drop, don't quote figures.
3) Come with a range of different projects and then just go and chat to people... I don't mean pitch, I mean chat. Ask questions, find out why they are here... Oh, and don't try to figure out who the players are... talk to everyone. One of the best pieces of information I got at Cannes 08 I got from an intern in their first week in the job!

I see there has been some discussion about what there is a market for... this is a good news, bad news situation.

Bad news is that distributors and sales agents are getting flooded with bad dv and HD movies... so, they've gone back to looking at projects shot on film and projects with significant budgets. Basically, anything with a budget of less than $1M is considered a hobby project.

Good news is that is a lot of covert talk about micro-budget... by that they mean sub $500,000.

As usual there are a few people trying to make commercial sense of short, but are doomed to failure.

However, there is one fairly major piece of good news coming for indies making features... but I can't talk about that until it comes out of beta next month.

On a personal level, I've had an exceptional Festival... er, more on that later. But bottom line is it is all good.

I'll be back with my regular identity in a few days... and after I've had some sleep I'll try to write some more.

I am of course going to be writing more in depth reports and some other stuff over at 1000dollarfilm.com

I'm not going be able to answer any questions immediately, I've got tickets for the new Kaufman movie tomorrow and then a meeting and then the long drive home.

So, later. (who was that masked man?)

By the way Che the 4 hour spanish language epic from Soderberg, shot in the Red is incredible... pity that it's not been picked up... and that it'll end up as two hours max.

I noticed this same thing in the corporate world. The lower rungs are fearful of the upper rungs of heirarchy... Right up until you start talking to the CEO of the huge multi national conglomerate and realize that he's just a guy who made good business choices to get where he is. Other than that, they tend to be open to anyone who's *willing* to talk with them honestly and bounce ideas off of them. They end up surrounded by so much fear and butt-kissing as a result that they respect when you treat them like a human rather than a deified smiter of souls. Intelligent honesty becomes an "IN" that can be leveraged in conversations. I actually got asked to type up my interpretations of interdepartmental communication breakdowns, ramifications and solutions based on a conversation about my experience being in a company that was purchased by the parent company. Trying to get over the us vs. them mentality.

I absolutely imagine that the reps from the majors experience alot of people approaching them with dollar (or pound) signs in their eyes, and ulterior motives to their contact. They'd much rather do work with people who deal with them on an up front basis, rather than trying to "play the game".

Well said, man.

I know this is nowhere near that same level, but I've noticed that same thing at the horror movie conventions I've covered. Even the biggest names at the ones I've been to are in the end as interested as anyone in talking to someone who has more on their mind than "OMFG! I loved you in that thing where the guy's head blew up and little elves came out with Ak-47s!" (or something like that) or some form of fan worship. If you're someone with your own ideas and opinions on things not just limited to what made them succesful, they're generally very much going to be up for some conversation.

I don't remember who said it, but I've heard before that the best way to go about any situation like a festival or a convention is to just act like it's not a big deal. I'm not saying that you shouldn't take it seriously. I just mean you should go into it with a level head...and not as some pyscho fan willing to do everything and anything to get your name out the door.

I don't remember who said it, but I've heard before that the best way to go about any situation like a festival or a convention is to just act like it's not a big deal. I'm not saying that you shouldn't take it seriously. I just mean you should go into it with a level head...and not as some pyscho fan willing to do everything and anything to get your name out the door.

Well said, my man.

Pros at festival seem to respond well to two things: people who know what they are talking about, and people who aren't trying to pitch to them, cold.

I went to Cannes with no intention of either pitching or setting up deals. Mainly I went to research for 1000dollarfilm. This allowed me to talk to people without an agdenda (pretty rare at festival), to share intelligent conversation about our mutual passion for film... and then, when opportunities arose, they occurred by accident. None of my business was pre-planned.

I have always had this mentality, that everyone in the business of film and television aren't much different from you and me. They're people, too, just trying to make a living. They put on their underwear (when they wear it) one leg at a time. Treat them with respect, the way you would want to be treated. I have always been very passionate about film and screen stories, and I can't wait to be among those who share my passion.

When I was in my late teens, I had my sights set on acting. I had a rare opportunity one Sunday at the Great America (then owned by Marriott) theme park in Sunnyvale, CA. Danny Glover was there with his daughters, who were on the bumper car ride. I recognized him from Lethal Weapon. I casually walked up to him, introduced myself, and asked him how he got started because I, too, had an interest in pursuing what he did. We sat on a bench for 20 minutes talking shop. Then my step dad scared him away by walking up and asking for his autograph. I cherish those moments because he was very enthusiastic about helping me on my way down that path, just like I cherish every bit of advice and feedback I get from members on this forum. Some day I will be able to pass along this knowledge to others just like me from an experienced vantage.

Now what I wouldn't give for 15-20 minutes to pick Spielberg's brain...

Last edited:
I know, right?

I had a friend of mine meet Martin Scorcese once, after he had given a three-hour lecture. And I asked my friend what it was like, if he was nice, etc.

My friend paused for a moment before saying: "He's really nice, but he will literally not stop talking about movies unless you ask him to."

I don't know if that story's true. I'm fairly sure it is.

And if it is indeed true, well, that always kind of amused the hell out of me.

But yeah, I haven't always managed to keep my geekiness in check, but I've done okay.

I had a similar, slightly weird experience at the Edinburgh Festival about five years ago.

Richard Curtis (Four Weddings etc) had given a talk and everyone went to the bar afterwards. The place was packed... but Richard had a three foot semi-circle of free space around him.

So, being me, I just stepped into it and introduced myself. We must have chatted for about an hour on screenwriting, pitching to the BBC and other stuff. He told me some very cool stories about how many times Blackadder came back with notes, before the BBC picked it up (24 rewrites).

Now, what was odd wasn't that he like to talk shop... but that in a bar where people didn't have space to get their beers to their mouths we had tons of space. Like a fame forcefield.

I've never forgotten that... no matter how big they are, they're still all film geeks who do this because they love it.

(Sorry, I'm on the alternate account again! My double bad... I'm out with the back-up laptop, the one without the codes)

Back