• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Can one edit and make/direct my very short film?

It is a criminal, and I tried to write it to be short and easy to make.. It is not still in script format and also it is not in proper English. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Int = Interior
It means that your scene takes place inside. The rest of the slug line should tell what that location is (briefly).
Ext = Exterior
Your scene takes place outside. The rest of the slug line tells where outside it is.

There are five main elements of a properly formatted script

Scene Heading/Slugline
Action
Character Name
Dialogue
Parenthetical

Sluglines or Scene Heading
Written in capitals and containing three pieces of information: (1) Where; (2) Exactly where
(3) when. (2) and (3) are separated by a space or a dash, followed by another space.

(1) can be INT. (interior) or EXT. (exterior); (2) is a short identification of the place; and
(3) can be either DAY or NIGHT.

For example:

INT. AIRPORT - DAY

You can use more than one subject.

For example:

INT. AIRPORT - TICKET COUNTER - DAY
INT. AIRPORT/TICKET COUNTER - DAY

You need a new slugline each time you change the place, and/or change the time.

Action, or Description
The screenplay’s visual elements, where we show what is taking place on the screen.
Character descriptions, what they are doing, the places, and everything the audience will
need to assimilate visually. Don’t use capitals for sounds, props, visuals or emphasis. But
you will capitalize the name of each character the first time you introduce them.

Character Name
In a properly formatted script the Character name is placed above the dialogue, in caps
appx. 25 spaces from the left margin; not centered

Dialogue
This is where you place everything the character says.

Parenthetical
Do not use parantheticals under the character name to show action. And don’t use them
to tell the actor how to read the line. Let the emotion come from your script and dialogue.
Try to avoid using them at all.

Very informative, thanks!!

What if I write a short film who has only two actors and a remotely controlled toy car? I can write this, but fear about script format. If in open real locations it is problem, I mean in crowded places, I write it differently. I think for example it is nice to put one nice library beside a toy car. It can have many meanings. :) Just an idea to share with you and here you choose.

Thanks!

Your challenge now is to practice screenplay format. You already have a
lot of stories you want to tell. What you need to learn is how to write
those stories in screenplay format.

Write the story about the old woman and her dog in screenplay format.
Write the story of the fugitive in screenplay format.
Write the story about the two people and the remote controlled car in
screenplay format.

Your challenge now is to practice screenplay format. You already have a
lot of stories you want to tell. What you need to learn is how to write
those stories in screenplay format.

Write the story about the old woman and her dog in screenplay format.
Write the story of the fugitive in screenplay format.
Write the story about the two people and the remote controlled car in
screenplay format.

Don't you think I better put my time on one real feature movie instead?
I had two feature films ideas...

Thanks!

Back