tv Can I include a TV screen?

Hi Everyone!

I am just wondering if I can include in my shot a TV screen which is playing some movie, eg Titanic... :)
Is it possible, or I have to get a license on it?

Thanks in advance.

if you're not making money at it, I think its ok. But if you go to a film festival and money is exchanged then maybe not?

If you do get permission, just remember to shoot a HDTV plasma or LCD screen. There is little wave motion in them.

you can do what rodriguez did in his part of four rooms and put one of your old short films on the screen. Then you don't need to worry about permission.

exactly... and Titanic... you'll probably never be able to get that license...

Why do you have to show anything on the TV? Is it required that the audience see it? If not, change the angle.

I would like to shoot a person who are watching a TV movie. In a frame the person should be in focus, but TV screen in some blur behind... how in this case? Is it still true, if it's not recognizable by anyone it's ok?

we had an actor watching TV constantly in the film I'm making now...we shot from the POV of the TV and hit him with a blue party flood in a clamp light with a hand waving in front of it (slowly, randomly). Worked great...we're going to do some audio gags with it, should be kinda fun. Since you can't see what's on the TV, it could be anything. We'll use the audio to imply shows and news reports.

AlexGg said:
Is it still true, if it's not recognizable by anyone it's ok?

This isn't true. Now, you might not run into any immediate problems with using unlicensed properties, but the headaches in the future could be huge.

Poke

If there's a question about the legality of it, either don't risk it, or ask a lawyer. In my opinion you should not have anything that is copyrighted on your TV when you're filming it.

I'm sure there are some filmmakers here that would allow you to use their shorts to play on your TV.

How I'd know if it's copyrighted or not? I mean if there plays the Titanic it's 100% yes, but if there plays e.g. localNewsChannel/Hokey/localTvDrama... ? Whether all aired stuff is copyrighted or not?

If it was created by someone and broadcast by someone it's copyrighted. If you take a photo and print the picture, that is now copyrighted by you. Pretty much, if someone created something, video, photo, etc. , you have to have their permission to use it wether you see a copyright symbol or not.

If my kids were in the play "Wizard of Oz" and you play that video on your TV while shooting a horror film or creepy guy character watching it, you better have permission from the production company to show it or you're getting sued and I'll own all your master tapes and any digital coppies on the PC or other means.

Point blank. If you do not have permission to show it, then do not show it, no matter what it is.

Here's the law:
102. Subject matter of copyright: In general

(a) Copyright protection subsists, in accordance with this title, in original works of authorship fixed in any tangible medium of expression, now known or later developed, from which they can be perceived, reproduced, or otherwise communicated, either directly or with the aid of a machine or device. Works of authorship include the following categories:

(1) literary works;

(2) musical works, including any accompanying words;

(3) dramatic works, including any accompanying music;

(4) pantomimes and choreographic works;

(5) pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works;

(6) motion pictures and other audiovisual works;

(7) sound recordings; and

(8) architectural works.

Not only is it a criminal act, you can be sued civilly as well.

Why risk it. For me, it's not worth prison, fines, and all that. Just put on something that is owned by you or get permission. That's it.

No your character can't be watching the Bears play the Vikings, because it copyrighted by the NFL.

No you can't show hockey because it's copyrighted by the NHL

No you can't show a play because it's copyrighted by the production company. Wether it was a school play or a full on production, it's copyrighted.

You cannot include photos on the tv that you didn't take yourself unless you have permission by the photographer.

No you can't have one note of music from your favorite song unless you have permission.

If you do not have permission then it's not legal fo you to use it, no matter what.

That also includes the maker of the TV. So if it's a Sony TV, you better cover up the word Sony because you don't have their permission to show their name in your movie either. Their name is TradeMarked.

Get something that you have permission to use or change the scene so you can't SEE the TV screen. Ask the filmmakers here if you can use their films for your TV scenes.

All you need is permission to show the flic within your flic... you can use the 5 min Documentary I did. and I'm sure there's other filmmakers here that would allow you to use their stuff too.... All you have to do is ask.

Dear CootDog! Thank you so much for your kindly detailed answer! Now it's clean in this subject. Of course I'll try follow your advice to ask guys here.
Once again, thank you!

Back