• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

can I avoid paying for colour grading by shooting black and white?

Yeah, so, I'm realising that if I ever get to shoot a feature, the budget's gonna be super fucking tight.
I feel like what I'm writing might work well in black and white, so I'm wondering if I can save some money in post.
Thoughts?

Couldn't you find a colorist willing to work for free? I color graded a short of mine, and I think I did a decent job, after learning the tools, and how color grading works, when it comes to photography. I think it's doable if you do it yourself, or if you find someone willing to do it for free.

Black and white still requires grading though. For example you will notice the black and white in Schindler's List (1993), is graded really different compared to the black and white in Pi (1998).

So Black and white is just as much of a challenge to grade as color, at least in my opinion. You still need the black and white to look cinematic, so the problem is still there.

If that's the only reason you want black and white, I'd say find a way to scrounge up the extra money and grade it properly. You'll still need someone to fix the whites, mids, and blacks for contrast.

First tip when it comes to color grading, ignore everything h44 has to say.

It sounds like you're between a rock and a hard place. Good graders are virtually impossible to get to work for free, even more so if they are experienced and have the correct equipment.

While black and white removes most of the need to grade, it makes the color correction step (most particularly the contrast) that much more important.

What kind of camera are you shooting on? The most common cameras these days are the canon consumer cameras. You can often get away without grading and still have a half decent, though far from perfect, output. How important is the final output?

I'd suggest to learn to shoot with a color chart and learn to use Davinci Resolve. While it doesn't work too well with shots with lots of movement (particularly those with light/color differences) what you do is (assuming you do it right) is shoot a color chart at the start (and sometimes at the end) of each shot. Then bring it into your resolve software and tell the software to match to that color chart. That (most often) does most of the work you need of your color correction step. Then apply a look you want and that's a very unsophisticated (and often decent looking) grade that you should be able to do yourself. Hell, there's an autocorrect button in Resolve. While it doesn't always work, it often does a reasonable job at getting you to a starting point, though you'll need to know the rest of your grading work from there.

With this technique, while it's far from great to use, it's really important to do everything as right as possible while in production and don't send anything into post to be fixed, as you're not going to know what to do.

Thanks everybody.
I'm not shooting any time soon, just wanted to know my options.
I may still want to shoot in b/w, but if I do it will probably be for aesthetic reasons. Doesn't sound like I'm going to save anything by doing it.

Oh, and I will look into the stuff you said, sweetie. Thanks.

I color graded a short of mine, and I think I did a decent job, after learning the tools, and how color grading works, when it comes to photography.

oooookay, stop.

You obviously haven't learned the tools OR how color grading works. Your countless posts have been evidence of how clueless you are to not only color grading, but pretty much everything involved in filmmaking.

1. Decide which one conveys the effect you want to have on the audience while serving the story.

2. There is no difference between shooting bw and colour. Both demand full attention during pre-production, production and post-production.

The usual difference is that most of us are used to shooting colour so we must learn the nuances of bw before attempting it for the first time. The lack of knowledge and practice in that area is what makes it more difficult for most of us, myself included.

You obviously haven't learned the tools OR how color grading works. Your countless posts have been evidence of how clueless you are to not only color grading, but pretty much everything involved in filmmaking.

What's funny... It's more polite than what I usually say to him ;)

I am sorry if I am being harsh and especially so as somewhat of a newcomer here, but I needed to just say something H44. Please use the passion you have to just focus on one thing instead of attempting to...ah f*ck it.

H44 is used to getting it worse from me, so don't worry about it too much.

He's like the Forest Gump of IT. Always tells stories (most of which have nothing to do with reality) and isn't too bright.

................ I color graded a short of mine, and I think I did a decent job, after learning the tools, and how color grading works, when it comes to photography. ................................

:lol:

Don't fool yourself H44.
You have no clue about color, let alone about color grading.
You are still looking for waveforms and scopes, your screen isn't calibrated and you think Premiere only can manipulated the colors red, green and blue. (Instead of manipulating the red, green and blue CHANNELS).

You maybe happy with what you did, but you don't really know to grade.

A new thought: Major studios will rarely release black and white films because the public as a whole doesn't like them. When "Nebraska" was in pre-production the studio insisted on color,
but the director wanted black-and-white...the studio immediately cancelled the shoot. The deal was re-negotiated, and the studio cut the budget by 50%. The film was shot in black-and-white.
Business was adequate, though less than anticipated.

Back